Thread: Headunit rant...

1. Back To Top    #11

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

Re: Headunit rant...

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiDelity View Post
    We've actually got a member that is trying out an Excelon deck; chithead. Though as for your question, Kenwood kinda fell off the map for a while and focused mainly on the low cost high volume gear and there merger with JVC kinda removed some of there SQ cred. Though I do agree that they are still making a top notch product and I would also through JVC's arsenal and some of the top level regular gear in there as well.
    Me and Jon (Dejo) are both running Excelon decks, the same one also DDX5901HD. I have no complaints other than a little screen washout in bright light situations. According to my oscilloscope, they are clean at full volume, both loaded and unloaded and put out more than advertised voltages.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Me and Jon (Dejo) are both running Excelon decks, the same one also DDX5901HD. I have no complaints other than a little screen washout in bright light situations. According to my oscilloscope, they are clean at full volume, both loaded and unloaded and put out more than advertised voltages.
    I forgot that you two were running that deck. Good to hear that there is some substance to the claims. Though I would like to see a test of Sony's latest HU's, they've been cramming a lot of useful features into there units as of late and aren't charging too much for them either.
    Last edited by Hi-FiDelity; 08-05-2014 at 04:35 PM.

3. Back To Top    #13

My Kenwood X997 has fully adjustable contrast, user adjustable color and lcd does well in dark as well as sunlight.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Guess who is going Kenwood shopping

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    My Kenwood X997 has fully adjustable contrast, user adjustable color and lcd does well in dark as well as sunlight.
    Same with my Pioneer FH-P5000MP, too bad they stopped making it 10 years ago.

6. Back To Top    #16

Ok, thanks for the update. I was just wondering. I have been running Kenwood faithfully for probably 20 years now. It just seemed like most every one was using Pioneer and/or alpine and not much else. I have just started getting back into car audio the past few months after several years of being absent. Has the sound quality of those two brands returned? This is just an honest question and not meant to start a fuss.
    Using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarv View Post
    Ok, thanks for the update. I was just wondering. I have been running Kenwood faithfully for probably 20 years now. It just seemed like most every one was using Pioneer and/or alpine and not much else. I have just started getting back into car audio the past few months after several years of being absent. Has the sound quality of those two brands returned? This is just an honest question and not meant to start a fuss.
    It really depends on the Model, I know Pioneers 80prs and CDE-149BT are good sounding decks but that's about all my knowledge of there current ranges.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'll hopefully be hooking up the KDC-X998 this weekend for some listening time. Can give a fair review by Monday at least
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    stock HU FTW!!! lol
    I have to agree! Simple and looks like it belongs.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I have to agree! Simple and looks like it belongs.
    Not all of us get the luxury of a factory HU that uses decent components and puts out a clean signal.