Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: helping others:

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: helping others:

There comes a point when sitting back and watching the show can be better than participating in it. My last couple posts on Diyma have been to put people in their place. Call it fighting for the little guy and/or people who understand where money should be spent and not spent. Telling someone they will get scored better using a $500 rca cable instead of a well built $20 cable is just pure blasphemy. Rinse and repeat and you got yourself a forum member that sounds like they have a corncob stuck up their ass.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I used to love helping people over there, I have not posted in a LONG time.

I just can't take it anymore. Too many assholes.
    The one, the only, original, a$$hole ... is all anyone needs !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Personally I tried to help and ask question over there but got seriously sick of the stock/generic responses in both cases. I also got tired of the overly defensive responses when you question the mentality of comparing a amp that cost 1K 20 years ago to an new amp that cost $300. There is no shame in wanting to help out people that have a genuine interest in this hobby but lack the knowledge and/or experience to beyond the parking lot boom box and if DIYMA is were you feel you can best do it than go for it. As others have said do what you feel you need to do, we're not going to judge or cast you out. We'll be here either way.

4. Back To Top    #14

I used to compete back in the late 80's and early 90's, this past year was my first year back competing and things have changed a great deal. With that, I had a great deal of questions. Some people helped, some acted like jerks and just short of ignored my questions. That's fine, suit yourself but I will not treat people like that. If someone needs my help and or ask me questions, I'll do my best to help in anyway possible or try to find an answer or solution somehow. At some point in time, everyone has a beginning point and no one knows everything from beginning nor years into it. Things change, new ideas, new equipment and helping each other and enjoying the sport is more important than carrying a trophy home.
    So please think about it next time, how would you like to be treated, could be if you act like a jerk, someone soon is gonna treat you the same way.

5. Back To Top    #15

The ignored questions are the ones they have no clue of how to answer ..

6. Back To Top    #16

You know Paul, that could be it. Therefore I was judging and I would have to apologize.

7. Back To Top    #17

I help based on how much free time I have. I don't necessarily not post because I despise X site. I just go through waves. Lately, I've been working a lot of OT to save up money and much more occupied with home theater stuff. Combined with my disinterest in car audio lately, I haven't really been active on the car audio forums. Sometimes I catch downtime where I don't have much going on in the way of work or home life, and I'll be active again on the forums. The level of idiocism doesn't have as much to do with my contribution as my disinterest and lack of time does.

I don't see any shame in wanting to help out. If you have the time to kill (a whole lot of people have extremely boring jobs or they just need to actually work while at work ) then go for it. Heck, I've been spending some time here and there working on a 'tutorial' of sorts that someone on DIYMA started, and I'm just adding a lot to it. The idea is to provide one good source of information for all the stuff that will help people understand the basics of audio and give them something to help them tune by. I think once that's finished up, it'll be something a lot of people could benefit from a lot. If nothing else, we've done the weeding out of useless info for people.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Kevin is on to something about people thinking they're too good to be answering questions that are too simplistic to waste their time with. They have forgotten where they came from and likely aren't appreciative of the people who have gone out of their way to help them. You get some interesting responses when you ask someone if they woke up one day knowing everything about car audio. Looking back on my journey that started in 02 it's amazing how far I've come but at the end of day I don't know very much at all about car audio. With messed up hearing I'm all about tonality with imaging that's good for me but jacked for most others. Sticking your finger in your right ear works wonders for staging in my truckIn my opinion the best way to stay humble in this hobby is to think back to the first time you gave sq a try. Several people on this forum remember my first real attempt at it and I was proud of it. That doesn't mean it sounded good. The worst thing someone can do is tell someone their system sounds good during the demo then talk bad about it behind their back. If someone really wants to improve they won't get offended by structural criticism. You just gotta be nice about it.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #19

I guess since we're on this bent that's less about me and more about, helping.... lol...

I should say that I have a pretty good memory of what it was like when I was just learning that speakers were supposed to move together in and out, and what happens when you put 4 speakers of 4 ohms in parallel on an amp channel, it gets louder for one, and your amp doesn't last as long for two...

but I rarely tire of the feeling I get when I gave someone I don't know, will likely never meet, and have no debt towards in that bargaining sense, the answer or solution that lets them move along in their own way and time.

that may be a fault, I'm not really sure at this point but I don't do it out of some false sense of superiority, or to maximize my "cred" with the cliques that run in certain circles...

I do it because it's just who I am. And, many of you, are a lot like me. I'm certainly not getting rich off of any of my comments, I could be construed to have wasted a significant portion of my waking hours in front of a computer screen for no attributable reason, unless there's some descriptor, perhaps a psychological diagnostic can be applied without too much trouble. And yet, here I am, confronted with a crisis of whether or not anyone feels me, and so it goes... it's all about me!

haha..

thanks for sharing, people. I mean that, you know. I'm not just saying it to be nice, and I'm not looking for anyone to throw a sympathy card, I just thought you should know, you who I don't know, but you're out there...

yes, you are.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

Facebook has become my outlet for helping and trolling noobs alike. Car audio q&a is fraught with ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk