Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Monte Carlo: from half-ass to whole-ass

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: 2005 Monte Carlo: from half-ass to whole-ass

Hats off to you Ally. Take your time and do it right, teach us all a thing or two as I for one need to learn that lesson.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    While you're at it, you could re-make the dash pad out of rigid fiberglass insulation and cover it in acoustically transparent fabric, thereby making your dash one big reflection-absorber.
    BRILLIANT!

Ally, Beethoven was death

3. Back To Top    #13

Well, we are all behind you on this effort, even though we mess with you a lot.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yeah, we only mess with people we like

5. Back To Top    #15

aaaaaaaaaaand.... sub'd!

Glad to know that I could somehow have helped push you in to the next hemisphere... whereever that takes you. I'm curious what the epiphany was, though I'm guessing it has to do with larger drivers based on our recent chats. Either way, I'm glad the GTG gave you something to walk away with and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the 'reference' system in the garage. That kind of feedback really makes me happy that we have those little shindigs.

I'm jealous of the potential you're going to have; a clean slate with a dash rebuild can mean some wicked results! I'd really love to go full dash rebuild. To me, it's just kind of natural progression and would let me do some things I know would make the car sound better. Alas, I drive a civic and there is zilch space back there. So, I'm having to live vicariously through you, Todd, John, etc. It's quite an adventure you're about to go on but count me in as a passenger in this thread... and possibly a backseat driver should you ever need some assistance.
    Last edited by erinh; 11-15-2013 at 09:05 PM.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    BRILLIANT!

Ally, Beethoven was death
    Lol! I know what you meant to type. That was the joke, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    Well, we are all behind you on this effort, even though we mess with you a lot.
    Some more than others, eh? I don't mind a bit. I welcome the jokes, can't take things too seriously, now can we.

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    aaaaaaaaaaand.... sub'd!

Glad to know that I could somehow have helped push you in to the next hemisphere... whereever that takes you. I'm curious what the epiphany was, though I'm guessing it has to do with larger drivers based on our recent chats. Either way, I'm glad the GTG gave you something to walk away with and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the 'reference' system in the garage. That kind of feedback really makes me happy that we have those little shindigs.
    I think you've helped me more than you realize Erin. Yes, larger drivers was one of those revelations. It was just... effortless.

When I heard the reference system, and then your car, I noticed that your car had what the reference system was missing (perhaps due to room acoustics, ambient noise, other factors that weren't 100% ideal for listening). It was much quieter when I demoed the Civic. Compared to the reference system, there was a better feeling of being in the room of the recording. Staging was dead-on, iirc. There was life, the voices had a body. It's been a while since I got chills from listening to a car. Remember that text I sent you, lol. It rivaled the reference system, imho. And hearing that gave me something solid to shoot for. I'd heard what I knew to be right - or pretty damn close to it, for being in a car. I went from having no real reference to suddenly having one, and that's where I found my direction. Still not entirely sure how I'm going to get there, but I walked out of your car knowing what it'll sound like when I get close.

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    I'm jealous of the potential you're going to have; a clean slate with a dash rebuild can mean some wicked results! I'd really love to go full dash rebuild. To me, it's just kind of natural progression and would let me do some things I know would make the car sound better. Alas, I drive a civic and there is zilch space back there. So, I'm having to live vicariously through you, Todd, John, etc. It's quite an adventure you're about to go on but count me in as a passenger in this thread... and possibly a backseat driver should you ever need some assistance.
    It's not so much that I have room to do it as much as I have decided to make room. I still have yet to find spare dash parts from a junk yard to play with. The one I tried to visit evidently no longer exists. Decided it was time to abort mission when a group of hoodrats came thugging in my direction when I'm stuck slow rolling over the sorry excuses for roads that permeate the uber ghettos of Birmingham. Nope, nope, and nope.

Lesson to be learned: Do not ever again attempt to visit inner-city junkyards unarmed.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Oh crap, I was joke-baited by Tornado Ally!

On a more serious note, we have quite a few good salvage yards here in the Little Rock area that might be of use. If you're passing through and have some time it might be worth a stop.
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 11-16-2013 at 12:50 AM.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by millerlyte View Post
    Some more than others, eh? I don't mind a bit. I welcome the jokes, can't take things too seriously, now can we.
    Never take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiDelity View Post
    You've got a lot more patients than I;
    Well, maybe he's a better doctor?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have a feeling this is going to be an awesome build. Seeing that I have a spare dash waiting to be chopped in my toolshop, I'll be paying close attention. Good luck!
    Nick

10. Back To Top    #20

Just how big a driver are you expecting to be delivered to try out?