Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30something's FJ Cruiser

1. Back To Top    #1

30something's FJ Cruiser

This is my build log. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

Movie quote paraphrasing aside, about 4 months ago I got the itch to switch things up in the audio department, so here we go.

Back in '09 I installed a pretty basic system in the FJ with an Alpine X-305 feeding 2 ed nine.2x amps powering old school a/d/s 346is comps and a DIYMA R12 sub. I didn't get pics of everything, but here's what I have...

About a year later I switched out the X-305 for an INA-W900 double din unit and added an imprint tuner and another ED amp to run two-way active. From there I went through a period when I changed mids and tweeters pretty often. Everything from Seas to Hybrid and a lot in between. Finally ended up with L1PRO and L8V2, not necessarily because it sounded best, but I was probably just tired of changing everything around.

Well, that's it for now. We're off to spend time with my dad, but I'll share the work I've done these past few months when I get back. Take care and have a happy Father's Day, folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Re: 30something's FJ Cruiser

I'm digging that amp rack setup.

3. Back To Top    #3

Whoa.....sweet floating amps!

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys, but it seems I've gotten rid of everything you liked about the previous install.

I still have the W900 and Imprint unit, but they now send their signals to a Helix DSP. (I kept the Imprint because the W900 pre outs were weak and clipped with so much as a fart) From there I have two Soundstream REF 5.1000's, one for left and one for right duty, each (soon to be) pushing a 12TW3 with channel 5, channels 3 and 4 bridged to the L8V2, channel 2 driving a Fountek FR88EX and channel 1 going to the L1PRO (for now, more on that later).

Much like other SUV's, the FJ's rear seats fold down to extend the cargo area. This "floor" offered by the folded seat backs is about 3" higher than the cargo bay. To compensate, Toyota have a plastic wedge to create a transition. My intention is to extend this wedge rearward and bridge the gap with a false floor, making the whole cargo area level with the lowered rear seats. In this false floor is were the amps and processor reside.

So, here we go...

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

No you replaced what I liked with something I LOVE! Those SS REF's are bad ass mothers.

7. Back To Top    #7

I still have to make a cover for the floor. Toying around with a few ideas, but leaning towards two layers, one with cut-outs to show off the amps underneath and a top layer providing full coverage to protect everything and keep dirt and muck away.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

The metal work is impressive. Really clean looking. Great job!

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's where everything sits right now with the front stage.

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of grief for the mid location, but it works and didn't require a lot of work on my behalf! The L1PRO's in the kicks aren't the ideal location either, but that will change soon. I picked up a set of 3/4" Scan Illuminators from Madisound and they'll be going in the pillars.

So, here's what we have so far...

Already had these adapters for the 8's installed, but fixed them up with a coating of bed liner spray and installed rivet nuts in the door for easier mounting.

here's how I mounted the Fountek's

and here's how I made room for the Fountek's

10. Back To Top    #10

a few pics of the wiring

the mount for the fuse holder

ran a beefier 12V lead under dash for all of the electronics instead of relying on the factory harness

mount for the under dash fuse block