Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan

1. Back To Top    #111

Re: Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    I was looking forward to the other unit with lcd mods and seeing how all that was gonna look and work out....but this change should be nice as well. Look forward to seeing and hearing it once all complete.
    Definitely would be cool to pull it off, but the w957 was the first choice so when I had the opportunity to work OT, I didn't think twice.
    I still have the screen, though. If you're interested, I can pass it off to you and you can fiddle with it. Shoot me a message and LMK.

2. Back To Top    #112
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Very nice choice of head unit sir! Looks like it definitely meets all your requirements. And I do agree, that is the perfect volume knob as well!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #113
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    One should have to pass a test to be able to have more than a 5 band parametric with 6dB of cut.... Later you can have your 12dB badge, then later a 3dB boost badge should you desire it.
    Word,
    Amen brother preach on!!

4. Back To Top    #114
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Well, it should come as no real surprise that the CDE-HD149BT didn't last long. I got the sucker in, and while it functioned as I expected, I hated... HATED... the LCD. It was just too washed out. Not in the sense of sunlight. That wasn't the issue. It just simply didn't look good. You've probably seen my rant elsewhere. I wanted to attempt to mod this thing to get it to look aesthetically up to par with something I could live with so I began researching my options and found an OLED screen that would fit the bill. I talked to [MENTION=126]Kevin K[/MENTION] about using this screen in place of the LCD:
    http://www.buy-display.com/media/cat...-display_1.jpg

We decided that it should work, based on the 149bt service manual and OLED screen tech sheet. So, I ordered it up. Took nearly a month to receive. I also ordered up a separate faceplate to remote out for control. However, by that time, I was already starting to regret the decision of the single din and not looking forward to trying to make it look like something I could live with. But, financially it's what I was left with doing. Around the same time, I was given the opportunity to work OT. So, I said "sure", and worked a couple weekends and this past Holiday. Sucked, but I did that to get money to get what I really wanted... this:
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w957hd

The deck has a few bells and whistles... most of which I don't care about. The one key thing for me is it outputs digital signal from any source. CD, iPod, radio... you name it. You simply enable the optical output and it actually disables the headunit volume. Which then means you have to control the volume via your DSP's volume. The Helix remote can be purchased for $60 and it does volume and other things. All I need is volume and one can be made with a simple mini-din cable and a 10k pot. I then began the search for a good volume pot where I discovered not all pots are created equal. I read online about the various options such as cheap Panasonic, ALPS, and the higher end ones such as the ALPS Blue Velvet and then the expensive options such as Noble, TKD, GoldPoint, DACT, etc. All I need is a good logarithmic pot and I found evidence via some googling that even the "logarithmic" pots aren't entirely logarithmic. The ALPS RK27 line (blue velvet line) are almost entirely logarithmic with about 40-something 'steps' on the pot, allowing a more fluid volume control as opposed to one with 20-something steps and a faster ramp up to loud. So, I ordered up the ALPS RK27(xxxxxxx) model from an eBay vendor in 5kohm flavor (since all the 10kohm are dual-gang).

Of course, I needed a volume knob for this thing. And I checked digikey, eBay, etc. Could never find one I really liked, though. I then got the idea to try to retro-fit an alpine 7990 knob. I contacted pacparts and they were able to source me a 7990 volume knob as well as the rubber knob ring. Not cheap, but man, it's sweet. I got the parts in yesterday. I had to drill out the 7990 volume knob and then chop off about 4mm on the ALPS shaft to get it to fit right. But, all said and done, it looks awesome.

The volume knob will go on the console as will a hard-wired alpine remote which will run in to the headunit's SWI jack; no latency of IR. I plan to install this stuff this weekend. Hopefully. When it's done the idea is the console will have all the buttons needed for basic controls as well as a slick volume knob. I purchased a few 3mm blue LED's for some lighting and I'm considering tying one to the underside of the volume knob, wired off the illumination switch, so it illuminates the knob when the headlights are engaged.

Here's a few random pictures...

That is just bad A I'm impressed. I love it great concept. That makes sense! I may be doing this type setup! Sorry to copy but major props! Can't wait to here and see and hear the results r u going to have this in Nashville?

5. Back To Top    #115

Quote Originally Posted by silkyslim View Post
    r u going to have this in Nashville?
    yep!

6. Back To Top    #116

7. Back To Top    #117

Installed the headunit. Ran the digital line to the helix. Hacked a mini-din cable and soldered my alps pot in for volume control of the Helix. First impression: Wow. This thing rocks. The system has zero noise and seems to be actually more dynamic because if it. It's like a layer of depth was added to the system that wasn't there before... or maybe that's just the fumes from the CA glue I used to hold the soldered wires on the alps in place.

I honestly would say in the land of MECA this setup sounds a couple points better than what I competed with at The Vinny a couple months ago and that's the best my system has ever sounded. On top of that, it actually seems like it gets louder than it did when I ran RCA out. I am stoked!

8. Back To Top    #118
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Awesome ! Erin

Super Nice Job on this !

Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

9. Back To Top    #119

10. Back To Top    #120

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Installed the headunit. Ran the digital line to the helix. Hacked a mini-din cable and soldered my alps pot in for volume control of the Helix. First impression: Wow. This thing rocks. The system has zero noise and seems to be actually more dynamic because if it. It's like a layer of depth was added to the system that wasn't there before... or maybe that's just the fumes from the CA glue I used to hold the soldered wires on the alps in place.

I honestly would say in the land of MECA this setup sounds a couple points better than what I competed with at The Vinny a couple months ago and that's the best my system has ever sounded. On top of that, it actually seems like it gets louder than it did when I ran RCA out. I am stoked!

You should post this in the "electronics doesn't matter much" kind of threads on DIYMA to see what kind of response you get lol

Good to see you finally settled on something - even though it did cost you quite a bit of coins to do that.

Kelvin