Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Monte Carlo

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: 2004 Monte Carlo

Kelly, thanks for letting me listen today... really sounded great sir !

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle
    2004 Monte Carlo, 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Edition

I will start by saying I loved my Scan speakers but beingthis car is my daily driver I was getting real tired of looking at those bigpods every day. I had been reading Erin's build log on his testing of the AFGB25. I also paid attention to all the responses he was getting from people whogot to hear his car. So I went and got these.

Got the last set Crutchfield had in stock. Then I set out tomake a baffle for them. You might say after looking at those, I borrowed theidea from Erin on that too. Actually I flat out stole it, even down to the sametweeter he used! I had the tweeter left over from when I was using the IDwaveguides.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

I'm still playing around with the location. I've had to trima little bit of plastic from under the dash cover to get them as far back as Icould. When I took new tape measurements to key into the Helix software Ichanged the TA by roughly 10"!

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

There is one setback I've had with these speakers and that'sthe connection points for the speaker wires. Those things are tiny anddelicate. Right out of the gate one of the speakers keeps cutting out. Eventhough Crutchfield's website said they were out of stock of those speakers till5/31, they did have 4 sets left and I will get a new set Monday. I'm reallyexcited to get those in and start retuning.

That leads me to the next change I'm really excited about. Ijust got the chance to put this in this morning and still trying it out.

5. Back To Top    #45

Awesome! Glad you're liking the change. And heck, dude, feel free to copy me all you want/need to. At this point, everyone in this hobby is copying someone else in some form or fashion. So it's all good. As long as you're making improvements you're happy with, it's a win.
    BTW, your baffles definitely look better than mine. LOL.

On a personal note, I'm really happy there are speakers small enough in size that perform as well as larger speakers permitting us to get rid of huge dash pods. The gb25 is a fine example of excellent engineering and design resulting in a speaker with performance bigger than its britches. I'm interested to see how this (and future technology/speakers) continues to impact what we are able to accomplish from a stealth perspective. It seems to me the gb25 is really a strong forerunner in this regard.

Looking forward to hearing this soon. Think you'll make the show at Cook's in June?
    http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showt...1212#post31212
    Last edited by erinh; 04-30-2016 at 04:11 PM.

6. Back To Top    #46

I forgot to ask... what are your thoughts on the sound? Pros/Cons? Have you had a chance to really evaluate it that much yet? I've had very similar setups to your 12m/d3004 install a couple times. Even switching from a 5" satori mid down to the gb25, I didn't feel I lost any output (actually, I gained output when I made the amp swap so the system plays louder now than it did before). I'm just curious if you have any things you felt your previous install did better or if you're pretty happy overall. Just curious.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I can't wait to see where this leads

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Kelly
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    I forgot to ask... what are your thoughts on the sound? Pros/Cons? Have you had a chance to really evaluate it that much yet? I've had very similar setups to your 12m/d3004 install a couple times. Even switching from a 5" satori mid down to the gb25, I didn't feel I lost any output (actually, I gained output when I made the amp swap so the system plays louder now than it did before). I'm just curious if you have any things you felt your previous install did better or if you're pretty happy overall. Just curious.
    I haven't had a chance to do a good evaluation with that one speaker cutting out on me all the time. Just when I can start enjoying them that one cuts out. The only thing I have done so far from the previous setup is adjust the TA. I still have the same eq and xover settings from the Scan's. When both speakers were working I can say I didn't have to turn the volume up as much as I did before, but not by much. I mentioned to a few people at the last show that I had to turn up my volume more than before but couldn't pinpoint as to why. I also had changed to new amps at the same time so that may have played into it. When they are both playing, these speakers seem to have a more smooth, warm sound than the Scan's, even using the same settings as before. I'm really anxious to get the new speakers in to do some long testing on them.

9. Back To Top    #49

Looking hood Kelly !

I enjoyed my time listening to your new setup... those 2.5" are quite interesting. .. Looking forward to hearing it again after you have time to do some more tuning...

By the way, nice looking Denon...

Best wishes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #50

Nice job, excited about the changes and looking forward to hearing this again.