Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

1. Back To Top    #41
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

O-shit, now I have to think about those Neo magnets.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    O-shit, now I have to think about those Neo magnets.
    Right? And isn’t the motor on that 8” version just about the best looking one yet?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Right? And isn’t the motor on that 8” version just about the best looking one yet?
    o-yeah. I went on their Facebook page looking for more information like ts parameters but didn’t find any. Besides the magnet and different surround I wonder what else is different for better or worse? The basket looks the same, which is a good thing.

I was modeling a bunch of Dayton Audio subwoofers in Bassbox Pro today and comparing them to the SD3 and Audiofrog GB12 I have. They do very well in the models.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #44

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-works.561839/

There are some measurements there from some testing done on April 4th. Could get an idea of the TS parameters on the SD4.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

woah... SD4? Now that's impressive. I'll model those prototype specs against what we have already.

edit:

I ran the prototype numbers, making a few assumptions about xmax and stuff. High inductance means it won't be as "fast" as its predecessor, and the specs call for a larger box to get the same Qtc. It does play lower because of the same factors, but is more boomy doing it. It is overall a couple dB louder than the SD3 at all sub ranges. I'm mixed on this. The size of the box determines total SPL assuming xmax is the same or close. The bigger box that the SD4 "wants" to get the Qtc closer to the .8 range (.7 is not going to work), the less power the thing can handle. I have to size the box down to make the Qtc pop up in the .9 range (too high IMO for me and my likes), with still a larger box than its predecessor.

The SD4 - 12" version is much worse for a sealed box. It has Qtc ranges above 1.01 in a 1.4 cubic foot box, which is just too big for a single 12. HOWEVER, if the prototype specs hold true to the final model, this may be the killer app for Infinite Baffle configs. I set a 15 cubic foot box with a 23hz 4th order filter, and gave it 500W. Wow it digs deep.

Of all of them, the Prototype SD-4 specs for the 8" are the best in simulation. Give it .5 cubic feet sealed (which is a lot for an 8 but oh well), or give it .9 to 1.0 cubes as ported, and the results are great.

Very interesting, may have to stock up on SD3's. Oh wait, I already have.
    Last edited by Lanson; 10-28-2019 at 09:28 AM.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Cool video posted up yesterday by Mark at CarAudioFabrication:

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
    OK I've hopped on WinISD, and I built a sample of the SD3 8" ported, and SD3 10" sealed and ported.

I've set the box for an SD3-8 as .7 cubic feet (per sub), tuning frequency of 31hz looked really good.
    SD3-10 sealed, also at .7 cubit feet (per sub), Qtc of .753.

The 8" ported setup outputs louder than the 10" sealed at frequencies under ~47 hz.

The 10" ported sub would like as much space as you can give it, up to 1.8 cubic feet and tuned to like 24hz. HOWEVER, since that amount of space is probably improbable for a pair of 10's, running 1.3 cubes at 26hz looks pretty doggone great. Worth pointing out that, at 250W of power, the 8" ported PAIR almost exactly lines up with the SINGLE 10" ported also at 250W power. So, the 8" pair run out of ability at 500W, and to keep from reaching xmax I put a 18hz highpass 2nd order Bessel. I put 500W on a single 10" ported with a 4th order highpass at 22hz, linkwitz, and I'm getting ~+3dB at 40hz compared with the pair of 8's. If you could somehow squeeze a pair of the SD3 10's in a ported enclosure with specs close to this, you'd have a really nice, flat (pre-cabin gain) setup.

If you don't have that much room, just putting a pair of SD3 10's in the biggest you can fit SEALED would probably be sufficient. I'd say a pair would be very happy with a setup anywhere from 1.1 cubes (for Qtc around .8) all the way to 1.7 cubes (for a Qtc near .707), and I've run a pair of these before on roughly the same power you have. I had a set of SD3's in two Ford Flex builds, my Durango, and also had the same pair in my WRX, all on a Massive N3 which can push about 1100W or so. They were great in all of those builds. I'd do this as a backup if you end up short on space, because ports themselves take up tons of room, and those numbers above are always before vent space. They would probably fit in a slight wedge or straight down, downfiring, with sufficient space underneath.

edit: Because the SD3 doesn't need space behind the magnet (no pole vent), the box itself can be made very shallow, basically as deep as the sub itself, if necessary. This means it will probably fit with plenty of room to breathe in a downfire config.
    Dumdum, what about this post deserved a thumbs down, in your opinion?

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Maybe he meant to click Thumbs Up - I've accidentally clicked Thumbs Down before too.

Subwoofer decision was made middle of this week, and a pair of Audiofrog GS12D4 are in route to the house now. Very excited to get going on this installation!

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Maybe he meant to click Thumbs Up - I've accidentally clicked Thumbs Down before too.

Subwoofer decision was made middle of this week, and a pair of Audiofrog GS12D4 are in route to the house now. Very excited to get going on this installation!
    I just did some modeling for a guy with the GS12D4 as my final recommendation. That sucker is versatile! At least going by the modeling.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
    I just did some modeling for a guy with the GS12D4 as my final recommendation. That sucker is versatile! At least going by the modeling.
    Ohhhhh yeah! That is good news. It wasn't my first choice, as I actually ordered a pair of GS10D4 - but when Mr. Andy arrived back from SEMA, he said they were sold out in his absence. After some discussion, a pair of the 12's were labeled up and sent out instead.

May have to get creative with the enclosure and rob some room from behind the seat, but I'll do whatever it takes to fit them beauties!!!