Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O Scope Options

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Re: O Scope Options

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Check out Pico Scope and utilize a laptops superior display.
    Ge0
    Going to be ordering a pico this week... Thanks for informing me about these

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    Going to be ordering a pico this week... Thanks for informing me about these
    Just remember you don't need a high bandwidth scope for audio. You can get by with the cheaper options. Anything over 100MHz is overkill.
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #13

It definitely has a pixelated LCD display, but the scale is easy to set. Not too tough to work around that, for gain setting and signal analysis using sine waves.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    It definitely has a pixelated LCD display, but the scale is easy to set. Not too tough to work around that, for gain setting and signal analysis using sine waves.
    What has a pixelated display?

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #15

What has a pixelated display?

Ge0
    My little handheld single-channel Velleman.
    I still love it because back then, I'd have never justified spending $1500 on a real Oscilloscope. $250 was like a "holy shit!" opportunity to jump on before they figured out they should charge more. Still can't believe it's even cheaper today.

Is that pico a dual channel? I wouldn't mind a dual-channel option, but honesty my Velleman has been good for what I do- I'm (sadly) not internally scoping amp guts.

I actually was starting to look for one that also did all the DMM stuff too, but definitely want one with a continuity buzzer... my current DMM is just "OK", I'd pick up an upgrade if there was this rad added feature... like an O-Scope.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    My little handheld single-channel Velleman.
    I still love it because back then, I'd have never justified spending $1500 on a real Oscilloscope. $250 was like a "holy shit!" opportunity to jump on before they figured out they should charge more. Still can't believe it's even cheaper today.

Is that pico a dual channel? I wouldn't mind a dual-channel option, but honesty my Velleman has been good for what I do- I'm (sadly) not internally scoping amp guts.

I actually was starting to look for one that also did all the DMM stuff too, but definitely want one with a continuity buzzer... my current DMM is just "OK", I'd pick up an upgrade if there was this rad added feature... like an O-Scope.
    I stand behind Pico Scopes because they work well for me and my team in an industrial environment. Your handheld is convenient but you are killing yourself on the display. A 2 channel Pico Scope for $115 blows it out of the water. Why pay for a display when your laptop already has a pretty good one? You can buy Pico Scopes from anywhere from $100 to $1000. It all depends on your needs. If you are just measuring audio signals then the 10MHz cheapo 2 channel model is perfect for you.

I need to measure power supply and amp output switching frequencies. i spec a device that has 100x bandwidth and maybe 4 channels. Anyone here that does not need to operate on amps does not need this. So save yourself some money and enjoy the love.

At work I have one or two scopes that can sample a 5GHz over 4 channels and decode comm buss signals like Flex-RaY, MOST, CAN, and LIN. These cost $20k each. A hobbyist does not need to spend this type of money anymore.

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 05-24-2020 at 09:37 AM.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Still paying for a device with an ultra cheap built In display. Check out Pico Scope and utilize a laptops superior display.

Ge0
    Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion, I ordered a pico and decided to also get a SMD DD-1+... Even thought the PICO will easily show me a clipped signal (along with other cool functions) i would still like to know when distortion (at least up to 1%) is present at which device is throwing it.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion, I ordered a pico and decided to also get a SMD DD-1+... Even thought the PICO will easily show me a clipped signal (along with other cool functions) i would still like to know when distortion (at least up to 1%) is present at which device is throwing it.
    Good choice. I know some folks like to judge clipping by watching a sine wave distort on a scope. But, by the time you see distortion you are well into the 10% and above range.

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Good choice. I know some folks like to judge clipping by watching a sine wave distort on a scope. But, by the time you see distortion you are well into the 10% and above range.

Ge0
    Ok, so trying to understand here & forgetting their cost for the moment, with the SMD DD1 or DD1+, do you really even need the scope based on your comment about distortion already being high by the time you see the clipped signals?

Besides setting gains, any other real or common benefit to using a scope in car audio?
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by MegaG View Post
    Ok, so trying to understand here & forgetting their cost for the moment, with the SMD DD1 or DD1+, do you really even need the scope based on your comment about distortion already being high by the time you see the clipped signals?

Besides setting gains, any other real or common benefit to using a scope in car audio?
    Check voltage levels. Look for noise. See if your amp is clipping. Look at pretty sign waves. Etc...

Ge0