Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

1. Back To Top    #61
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic
    If you want to "FEEL" the music , wire a dvc in parallel as low as it goes (1 ohm dvc , drops to a half ohm ) , once you start moving a cone back and forth under 125 hZ there is going to be some pressure generated !
    With the negatives generated by Nautilus , I got a more balanced ( forward/backward ) muscle tone.

Gallons per minute -vs- pressure , a tidal wave is a whole lot of water but if you want to knock dirt off your wheels , go with a high pressure wand !

Not so much max power as maximum current ( hit em with a tidal wave ).

On AGT a woman who lost her hearing later in life ,sang by standing on a pad that she could feel the cues in. Mozart was functionally without hearing when his 9th was composed.
    There was a pipe organ with a 64 foot long pipe that played an extremely low note in a cathedral. At mass you were " literally " moved (visceral) music.

I am a "form follows function" type ! If something works ( I like ), if something is aesthetically pleasing to look at but it doesn't work . . . MEH

I like the cars that moonshiners had ! Looked like all the other cars . . . But, they moved ! A gallon of H20 weighs 8 lbs. Just think how many gallons of shine those cars were hauling ! Power to get the job done !
    Workhorse . "Sleeper" !

Weigl21,
    I sold Mark two CDT 8" sub for an F-150 ( the fs = 17.5) , he was not thrilled , so I sold him two 8W3's . . . He was thrilled and put them in his brand new Silverado - Why , because they got the job done !(right).
    A JL Audio 500/1 was amp he used and CDT's were 4ohm , 8W3's were 3 ohm .
    Mark ( my boss ), literally bought the JL's when I set one on his desk and it pulled the color out of the lower right corner of his monitor (computer) LOL
    Last edited by papacueball; 11-30-2019 at 04:50 AM.

2. Back To Top    #62
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

I hear what you are saying (sort of), more power is always "better" and to get such, a lower impedance is desired.

However, power was one of the variables that stayed constant in my initial inquiry. A setup running at optimum power wired in series vs a setup running at optimum power wired in parallel.

Like I said, I'll just have to test myself by feeding 200RMS or so to a sub wired both ways. Biggest issue is the amount of time between hearing them, as resetting gain and reconfiguring the sun's coils far exceed a person's memory ability when doing subjective listening tests. Unless one clearly outperforms the other, I could only surmise that there is in fact no performance difference between wiring configurations.

Edit
    Also, your last "example" uses two entirely different drivers. Not an apples to apples comparison at all.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/spe...tions.asp#spvr

Switching from series to parallel and back
    GUILTY
    (And yes to changing out a small motor SQ CDT 4ohm ( which Mark gave to his son )to a big motor 8W3 ( made a sale ! ) Making 3 ohm coil (genius) , 2 ohm door speakers (genius). Marketeering !

Also guilty of selling subwoofers powered by a 100 watt mono Zuki ( it worked for making sales ) lol

4. Back To Top    #64
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

I wired dvc @ 1/2 ohm and put sub in sealed box with SAZ 1500D on it.

Size comparison 8" Image Dynamics -vs- 12" DD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191130_155141.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	7880
    DVC 1ohm from Digital Designs 12" model G
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191130_155053.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	7881

The cone is very stiff and surprisingly light weight .
    Last edited by Queef; 11-30-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Parallel wired

5. Back To Top    #65
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    https://www.the12volt.com/relays/spe...tions.asp#spvr

Switching from series to parallel and back
    Will this work ?

6. Back To Top    #66
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

That would work, but he would have to stop to reset the gains each time to make sure it's getting the same wattage.

7. Back To Top    #67
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post
    . . . I've never had the opportunity arise where I could easily change the sub's impedance . . .

. . . why the driver may perform "better" one way or the other . . .

Still, if the parameters do change some depending on voice coil wiring configuration, could/would the driver behave differently enough to make an audible difference?

Edit.
    Actually, "performace difference" is probably not the right way to put it.
    Hoping the relays make it fairly easy to do this test .

8. Back To Top    #68
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    That would work, but he would have to stop to reset the gains each time to make sure it's getting the same wattage.
    The wire size may be important , too ? Carrying more current in amperes -vs- more volts ( higher pressure works with smaller wires ).

9. Back To Top    #69
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Here's a thread I have been looking for http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/sh...highlight=8ohm

10. Back To Top    #70
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Erin explains the "apples -to- apples".

The current is the important variable in "subwoofer";difference !

The harder or hotter work means cooling amp with some means is necessary .