Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

1. Back To Top    #51
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

The g's that a person would experience in a Tesla Roadster as it accelerated would prevent them from leaning forward ? Zero to 60 mph in 1.9 seconds , 0 - 100 mph in 4.2 seconds

2. Back To Top    #52
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Which falls faster in a vacuum , a feather or hammer ?

3. Back To Top    #53
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

With no "resistance" they fall @ same rate

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

Possibility, though theoretically and according to other sources, it "shouldn't".

Again, I'll just have to prove it to myself by testing it out. I do have some DVC drivers, but I'm not going to mess with it until fair weather rolls in and I have the time.

That said, I'm done debating the issue. If I'm really that curious, I'll test it later.

Have a good Thanksgiving, or what's left of it.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Thank You Weigl21 !

Enjoy yourself , too !

P.S. please post a "subjective" result or what it sounds like to you .

Wired in series (more damping or better control ).
    Wired in parallel ( less damping or less controln)

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

I did, and a little too much, I'm stuffed and got a gut ache, but I think that's a common result from enjoying Thanksgiving.

I'm not too sure how much of a difference it would make to use two subs wired in separate chambers and just swap playing one with the other. Be a lot less time between listening, but slight differences in the driver parameters could alter results.

Then again, I could rewire both drivers and retest, seeing if the driver that sounded "better"
    (assuming one does) still sounds better when compared after reconfiguring the wiring.

I've got a pair of Polk MM1240 DVC I could try, though given that it's 2ohm and 8 ohm I can wire them for, it'd probably end up being like 200RMS that I can feed them.

7. Back To Top    #57
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Hope belly stops aching .

Sounds like a good test !

8. Back To Top    #58

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Too much thinking in 1 day , but if none of this makes any sense , I will trade you one of my amps that makes a 1,000 watts into 1 ohm for an amp that makes a 1,000 watts into 8 ohms
    I might be interested...
    Which amp is it that does 1000W into 8 ohms?

Two resistors wired in parallel, and then wired in series, produce resistance that makes it easy to compute the total resistence.

Two inductor wired in parallel and then wired is series is a bit of a different beast.

If it wasn't different, then why are the T/S parameters often different for series versus parallel arraignments?

9. Back To Top    #59
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Thanks Holmz !
    Any amp for very little $$ can do it into 1 ohm , was my point .
    If there is available , an amp that does it into 8 ohms , might be pretty expensive .

10. Back To Top    #60

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Thanks Holmz !
    Any amp for very little $$ can do it into 1 ohm , was my point .
    If there is available , an amp that does it into 8 ohms , might be pretty expensive .
    Amen brutha... I cottoned onto what you were getting at for that part.
    (If there was an 8 ohm amp, then I think an 8 ohm version of the sub might be better?)

Are you suggesting that one really wants the max power that they can get? And then wiring in parallel gives them that?
    or does the inductance of a lower ohm VC result in it being better?
    and/or inductors in parallel are better than inductors in series?