Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Air compressor recommendations

I'm shopping for an air compressor for the home shop. Looking to stay in the $300 or less range if possible. Will be used for household projects occasionally, and for my audio builds for sure. I'll do some adhesive spraying, high build primer/paint spraying and some sanding with it at times. Those 3 things are probably the highest air usage requirements.

I checked Harbor Freight and they have a realllly cheap 21 gallon 2.5hp model on sale for $159 with coupon. Not sure if I trust HF compressors though.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-...Q3In0%3D%0D%0A

Another option I found is the Husky 33 gallon model available at HD for $299. It's an oil-less version with pretty nice specs and good reviews.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-...331H/203995169

3rd and 4th options are more pricey (more than I'd prefer to spend if I can get the jobs done with the other units).

Husky 30 gallon oil version for $439
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-...302H/206695048

Husky 60 gallon oil lubricated stationary (not on wheels) model, single stage 240v for $449
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-...602H/205389936
    Problem with this is I'd need to have a new outlet run to the garage which will likely be expensive. It has FAR more air output capacity than the others but is essentially immobile due to size and weight and requires electrical so makes it a much harder buy.

Any others in my price range that would be recommended? Are either of my first 2 suitable options for the limited use they'll see?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Air compressor recommendations

That Husky 33 gallon looks like a great option. Very similar to the Craftsman one I have. Can't complain one bit about it, very quiet compared to most others, and rarely ever have needed the tank to refill during usage.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd go with #4, none of the others will be able to keep up with a sander.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    I'd go with #4, none of the others will be able to keep up with a sander.

+1

I had the kobalt version of the oiless, gave it away and got a real compressor

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I assume that one requires a 220v line as well, yes?

What should I expect to pay to get one of those put in? Panel has room and it's a 200 amp service box. Probably a good 80-90 foot run of cable to get it out to the garage area on the wall where it would be terminated. I could probably run the wiring/conduit myself and then pay to have the breaker and outlet installed. I may want a dedicated 20 amp or so setup in the garage for 110v anyway as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

I own the Husky oiled 30 gallon and it's been great. It will run most anything including my media blast cabinet intermittently. I've had it for a couple years now and if I had to buy again, I would go the exact same route.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

I dont have a specific one to recommend, but I do have some general guidelines to offer....

Definitely get an oiled compressor vice oiless. The oiled compressors are quieter. Also, 220v is easier on the electric bill. Lastly, get the largest tank you can afford and house. The larger the tank, the less time you will have to wait for it to fill with compressed air. Oh, also one spec to keep in mind while researching is the CFM (cubic feet per minute). This is how fast the motor compresses air. The higher the number, the faster the air compresses, the less time you wait to use tools. Hope this helps some.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

8. Back To Top    #8

What air tools are you going to run?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71