Page 97 of 175 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Biden ?

1. Back To Top    #961

Re: Joe Biden ?

I do believe we should re-think the way we vote though. We should be able to do it electronically - skipping the traditional polling process or mail-in votes. It's a little silly to have specialized machines that only get dragged out and dusted off now and again. They have to be built, maintained, etc and that's spensive. It's also proven to be error-prone and there doesn't seem to be a nationwide standard.

Why not do it through a web browser or app with hefty authentication and encryption? Then all you need is a few engineers. Data is available instantly, no machines to break down, no paper waste, nothing lost in the mail. We do everything else electronically. Just seems a logical step to me. If we can make it secure enough for banking, surely we could vote that way. Seems like turnout might be higher too. Some folks can't be bothered to go to the polls, but if they could skip that part, they might participate. I've missed votes before because I could not get there on time and I try to vote in every election no matter how small.

2. Back To Top    #962

I agree - we should be able to vote electronically from a computer. Just base it on your social security number or something (to make sure no non-citizens can vote). I'm sure there are lots of security-related issues to work out, but it can be done.

3. Back To Top    #963

For starters, not everyone has/can afford/is interested in owning or operating a computer or handheld device.

4. Back To Top    #964

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I agree - we should be able to vote electronically from a computer. Just base it on your social security number or something (to make sure no non-citizens can vote). I'm sure there are lots of security-related issues to work out, but it can be done.
    That sounds great but there's just too much deception. I'm sure that's how it will be one day in the distant future but for now it's not possible to do securely. There's a reason the dems are pressing for that and mail in ballots.

5. Back To Top    #965

Quote Originally Posted by jettyman View Post
    That sounds great but there's just too much deception. I'm sure that's how it will be one day in the distant future but for now it's not possible to do securely. There's a reason the dems are pressing for that and mail in ballots.
    That too.

6. Back To Top    #966

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    For starters, not everyone has/can afford/is interested in owning or operating a computer or handheld device.
    I'm not saying that you *must* vote electronically from home, but I do think it should at least be an option.

We can do banking and our taxes from a PC - I don't see why we can't do voting from a PC. All we really need to worry about is people voting only once and that people are US citizens. Surely we can accomplish that without widespread fraud?

Not to mention that there is already plenty of room for fraud in our current system as well. Nothing will ever be 100% secure or fraud-proof.

7. Back To Top    #967

Quote Originally Posted by jettyman View Post
    It can be done as securely as traditional methods - if not better. There are LOTS of humans involved in the process now - plenty of room for mistakes. Ballots can just disappear or perhaps be fabricated. There is lag in eligibility verification. Ballots get sent to dead people and you can bet your ass some get counted. Our financial systems operate electronically - curious why you don't think we can be at least as secure with voting.

8. Back To Top    #968

I'm not saying that you *must* vote electronically from home, but I do think it should at least be an option.

We can do banking and our taxes from a PC - I don't see why we can't do voting from a PC. All we really need to worry about is people voting only once and that people are US citizens. Surely we can accomplish that without widespread fraud?

Not to mention that there is already plenty of room for fraud in our current system as well. Nothing will ever be 100% secure or fraud-proof.
    No but it's still too easy to corrupt. Not just from China and other rogue countries but from within also. If you have ever lived in a community with high numbers of illegals you learn how absolutely shocking it is to see how smart they are at gaming our systems. They know our laws and how to break the systems and rules better than our own officials. It's pretty shocking

9. Back To Top    #969

We're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The fundamental problem is excessive central government power/control/overreach.

10. Back To Top    #970

All we really need to worry about is people voting only once and that people are US citizens. Surely we can accomplish that without widespread fraud?
    I'd think it would be easier to verify eligibility this way. The only downside I see is the inevitable creation of a database of who voted how. Perhaps that's already a thing though. I haven't voted in person in quite a while - use the mail-in thing whenever possible and as far as I know there's some code on the ballot (those little bar code things) that identifies me.