Thread: 2003 BMW 330xi

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

2003 BMW 330xi

History:
    Paid $2000.00 for a jet black all wheel drive manual transmission with very little issues.

Pros:
    Runs good, all wheel drive, manual, Its a BMW

Cons:
    Rims, headlights, taillights, emblems and trim all painted with what looks like spray paint in a can with poor taping skills.
    Factory Stereo with signs of some kind of after market setup at one point. Right front wheel bearing worn out. One Key.

Changes:
    New front and rear led/hid headlight and taillights. New windshield. Push to start without a key option. New led interior lights, Plastic dip and vinyl wrap on wheels till the m6 rims get here. Replaced wheel bearing so I went ahead and replaced front axels/bushings/arms/break lines/break pads at the same time.

This log is basically just for my own uses so if your still reading, your probably really bored by now

Stereo Equipment For New Build

1. Pioneer MVH-X560BT Digital Media Receiver

1. Stage One Speaker Upgrade for factory doors mounts.

2. MTX 5510-22 10" Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer

3. MTX THUNDER500.1 500 W x 1 Subwoofer Amplifier To be replaced with the JBL MS-A1005

4. JBL MS-8 DSP

5.JBL MS-A5001- In the Mail

5.JBL MS-A4001 - In the Mail

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: 2003 BMW 330xi

Cool, I can't wait to see the progress.

...and welcome aboard!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

I went ahead and ripped a head unit out that I thought would be cool and practical due to the fact I could use a rear view camera and solve my very dark tint that I couldn't see out of to back up.
    The head unit was way to bright and effect my driving at night. The only good solution was to remove the tint and install the Pioneer Head unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-07 21.40.36.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	5366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-01 16.46.50.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	5367OLD Head Unit

Name:	2016-09-06 15.56.33.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	5368New Head Unit

I went ahead and installed Alexa while I had the dash apart.

Name:	2016-09-06 15.58.28.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	5369Alexa

I ran a remote wire and 3 sets of RCA's to the back for the amp/future amps ahead of time.
    I received a JBL MS-8 and after some reading, I found out regardless if you run high or low inputs you still only use 2 channels even though you have the option for 8...no freaking idea why they added those options. Guess I will be tearing into the dash again some time to remove 2 sets of RCA's

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Cool, I can't wait to see the progress.

...and welcome aboard!

Thank You!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

I had some damage on the trim piece above the stereo I had to fix from someone who was not experienced with BMW trim removal....so a little filler and I wrapped all the trim in black chrome vinyl (VViViD).

I did some mock ups for the JBL MS-8 and the future JBL amps...I wanted to make sure I still had a functional trunk with plenty of space and even thou I have run flat tires..I didn't want to fill the spare wheel well with amps/dsp....so here is what I came up with.
    The old factory amp and the optional Nav/CD spot

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	5370

So I cleared everything out and started on a bolt on/off rack for factory remounting if I ever got rid of the car.

Name:	2016-09-06 02.22.09.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	5371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-06 02.57.01.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	5372
    I ran some wiring, but I still cant finish it till I get the amps in. I still have one more power wire to run for the power block for safety....one I get everything lined up and set in place, I should be able to get going and build the rack with panel/HDF.

I had Mark from CAF do a sealed box design for the 2 10" MTX subs but I didn't like it and it was over kill and still too boomy. I hate boomy...so I did my own with a 25 degree angle to match the seats...yes its old school...but I never plan to fold down the seats for cargo...and yes, I had to hook up the MTX amp to those subs so I could listen to them with the factory amp running the rest...it is my daily driver now.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

This is my first true DSP install since the Sony mobile ES systems came out...which most of you are much to young to remember...The JBL MS-8 only has 8 channels to work with so I have to install passive crossovers which isn't the best way to go about doing this for a true DSP in my mind.

So 12 speakers to work with

1. front right 3 way passive crossover
    2. back right 2 way passive crossover
    3. (future center channel?)
    4. back left 2 way passive crossover
    5. front left 3 way passive crossover
    6. (not used)
    7. (not used)
    8. Subwoofer (mono)

I still have to do some testing once its set up...I may just use the front door highs (tweeters) on a separate channel for better imaging..I contacted Bavaudio about there stage one speakers and they don't have any passive crossovers for there speakers as the 10 channel bmw factory amp provides its own crossovers. I used some focal passive crossovers because I am not about to build my own at this time..this will at least keep the speakers safe...will it create the correct crossover range for each speaker is yet to be seen.

So tonight I get to splice into the factory wiring and hook up crossovers..yay me...I love living in car trunks!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Glad to see you posting this and the progress! If it were me I would just leave the spare RCA's in the dash unless they were either causing problems, or if I was removing those parts of the interior anyway to make it easy to remove them.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    2003 BMW 330xi

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Glad to see you posting this and the progress! If it were me I would just leave the spare RCA's in the dash unless they were either causing problems, or if I was removing those parts of the interior anyway to make it easy to remove them.
    Thank You naiku. I already have a spot for your amps ready =P

I would leave the RCA's in just for future system upgrades but it would make life easy if I removed them as they run down the middle and I have a mobile wifi box (Karma) and the Alexa Dot in the same spot...its getting real cramped in their around that emergency break. Not worried about using the break as we cant use them here in Alaska (winter time) but I rather play it safe and make some room.

Even thou I have a Gallotech keyless push button start installed, I still have to take the dash apart again to get to the EWS to reprogram two new key fobs I just received anyways.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

They should be there Friday, so that gives you all weekend to things up and running!! I completely understand about making room, if the BMW is anything like my A4 it can be a pain getting wires where you want them to go.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

Make sure you stay on top of the maintenance, German Cars are fun, but a pain in the ass when stuff goes wrong with them..