Thread: Subwoofer box, gross size?

1. Back To Top    #1

Subwoofer box, gross size?

Hey guys..

I'm going to build a box for my subwoofer.. It needs a 54L enclouser net.. But then there is going to add up the port, and the subwoofer..
    But i have no idea how much that is.. Can you please help me..

This is the sub http://gladen.com/GladenWooferPDFs/SQX10.pdf
    and the port is an aero port with thats have a diameter of 10cm, and a length 24cm..

What is that all in all??

Please help guys
    Last edited by whazz; 10-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -Albert Einstein.
    The one and only quote i ever want to follow when i do audio, both in cars, and in the home.. :bowl:

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Re: Subwoofer box, gross size?

I would recommend using an enclosure modeling software (such as winISD) and modeling for the "optimum" enclosure.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

3. Back To Top    #3

The enclosure is calculated, but WinIsd is calculating the Net size, the size withouth the sub and port taking air..
    I calculated the Net size of the enclosure to be 54l, but that only fit if i do the port outside, and the sub reverserd.. If you understand??

At least, that what i got told by the guy teaching me winisd.. :-)
    -Albert Einstein.
    The one and only quote i ever want to follow when i do audio, both in cars, and in the home.. :bowl:

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Your ( vent mach in WINISD beta ) needs to be in green ( color ).

Or your port will make noise ( chuffing sound ) if it is RED ( color ).
    For vented type subwoofer operated at full power or full excursion, it is possible to end up with audible noise from the air rushing in and out of the vent. For a given subwoofer box, the smaller the vent opening the greater the velocity of air in the vent and the greater the vent noise.
    lower number is better, .11 or so. [ vent mach ]

Determining factors are length and diameter of port.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Question Does a port have to be inside the enclosure or can it protrude from the enclosure?

Other than looking a bit weird I know of no reason why the vent should not protrude from the box. For a box of given dimensions, the net internal volume will be decreased by the volume of the vent when the vent is located internally. Where the vent volume is a tiny part of the net internal volume this will not really matter.

calculate your port displacement as a solid cylinder/tube/ etc..,

your sub can be inverted [ bottom side out/cone facing in ] ( noise may be heard from mechanical action ).
    Last edited by Hic; 10-22-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

5. Back To Top    #5

I figured out how to calculate the port, which takes up almost 2L of Space so i wont call it nothing!

Can somebody then PLEASE just help telling me how much Space the sub is taking?
    -Albert Einstein.

6. Back To Top    #6

I found of it all :-)
    -Albert Einstein.