Thread: speaker cone materials

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

speaker cone materials

Debates will be raging forever about metal vs. paper or various exotic diaphragms.

Aluminum-coated polypropylene
    Aramid
    C.M.M.D. - Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphrag
    Graphite - injected polypropylene
    HCL - HoneyComb-Laminate
    Hemp
    H.O.P. - Highly Oriented Polyolefine
    IMPP - injection-molded polypropylene
    IMPP composite - injection-molded polypropylene composite
    Kaladax
    Kevlar®
    Laminated polyester
    Mylar
    Neoglass
    PBO - polybenzoxozole
    Pearl polycarbon
    Pearl mica
    Polycarbonate
    Polyethylene
    Polyetherimide
    PPTA
    Pulp - paper
    Silk
    Silk/polymer composite
    Silver film
    Titanium
    Titanium-coated polypropylene
    Textile
    Thermalum
    UFLC
    wood
    Woven polypropylene
    Some are better for various environments, some reproduce certain frequencies very well and some are less expensive to produce.

Choose one that fits your pocket book and pleases your ear.

The best cone material is only as good as the motor and suspension components it is attached to.

I prefer the sound of paper, it sounds more "natural" to me, paper may be nearly the perfect material for cone construction. The actual make up of most "paper" cones is relatively complex. A top notch paper cone will be hard to beat. I would take a stiff pressed paper cone over any poly cone, for low level detail and transient speed.

Some "state of the art" and highly regarded mainstream stuff uses paper cones. Like the Scanspeak revelator.

Paper cones tend to be more resonant but also more dynamic, but the paper composition can have very large effects on the sound.

Paper is good in woofer and midrange applications, an old classic that doesn't look to go away anytime soon. It is easier to avoid a poor sounding system with a paper cone when the distortion profile of a driver is not measured and taken into consideration.
    Last edited by Hic; 10-15-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: preference of materials
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?€Somewhere 0ut There€}]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: speaker cone materials

Good read here:
    http://www.focal.com/en/content/19-w...-sandwich-cone
    and here
    http://www.focal.com/fr/index.php?co...ttachment=3976

Sorry if it's a Focal whitepaper but good read nonetheless at least to me lol

Kelvin

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Interesting topic, thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Thanx
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?€Somewhere 0ut There€}]

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Paper or ? ? ?

Scanspeak , are they leading the way with technological advancements ?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

The following is present on the higher tiers.

Doing entry-level makes for posting material, not to be confused with the best sounding speakers.

Their sliced paper cones, that they then fill with damping glue, allows for control of one form of distortion, cone break-up.
    Add that to a low-loss linear suspension coupled with their Symmetrical Drive and other than XBL2 Technology (Dan Wiggins), you have a mid that will play music very much revealed !
    Last edited by Hic; 04-06-2019 at 07:25 AM.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

If you have heard them in a vehicle [ any Scanspeak ], what do you remember as far as an impression ?

One of our newest members thinks home audio when it comes to Scanspeak, that works for me, I concur, it is closest to home audio sound !

What did you find when you ran Scanspeak drivers in your vehicle ? Kevin K, erinh, just a couple I think I saw any others ? Bob Ditts, Too !
    Last edited by Hic; 04-12-2019 at 10:07 AM.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Testing of 12M [ 4 inch midrange] from 03-16-2015 http://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showthread.php?1230-Scan-Speak-Revelator-12m-4631g00-Review

All in all, still one of the best frequency response sets I've ever seen. There are some dips but by and large, the response is very linear, even beyond beaming and off-axis
    [QUOTE]Re: Scan-Speak Revelator 12m/4631g00 Review

I know. I used to run them in the pillars with a scan/alpine some tweeter myself.

/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Hic; 04-12-2019 at 10:25 AM.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Scanspeak now part of Tymphany

Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.
    Since 2005, Peerless transducer technology has been a constant that has lead to our rich audio heritage and success today. We are the world’s only authentic manufacturer of Peerless drivers. Our Peerless audio products have been delivering premium sound for any application, and we have leveraged the Peerless audio technology platform to bring a consistent level of quality to all of our products.
    In 2008, Tymphany opened a state-of-the-art, custom-built transducer manufacturing campus in XinXu, China. In addition to Peerless, we’ve seen and built it all — using a wide range of technologies along the way.
    We are Peerless — In the case of Peerless audio technology, we’re still leveraging this platform today. We’re glad you love Peerless, because we do too.

Tymphany opened a manufacturing campus in XinXu , China