Thread: Four channel bridging

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 Acura TSX

Four channel bridging

Well I'm mapping out the upcoming system for my TSX and would like to pose a question to the members for your input.

I'm thinking of bridging a couple of four channel amps to power the front stage. That way I can have a high power front stage and keep thd gains low... thus more clean headroom.

A buddy of mine dies not suggest thus as he feels it will hurt the SQ... increase distortion, lower S/N... etc.

Do you guys feel this is true ?

Sent from my SM-G900V

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Four channel bridging

Both of your arguments are correct.......lol. Whether one is better than the other is pure opinion.......If that's yer plan, I say run with it....

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'm bridging one of my four channels to power the woofers, just because

Truthfully though, depends on the amplifiers in my opinion. If you know they are well built and reliable with good specs, do it.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

THD may double when an amp is bridged.

bridging is good but may have disadvantages, if you don't have the proper guage wiring you could overheat your amp.

Bridging an amp cuts the resistance load (measured in ohms) in half, which can cause it to overheat.

Be sure to check your manual (or the manufacturer’s website) to see whether or not your amp can function at half the ohms it currently uses.
    It is sometimes stated that operating an amplifier pair in bridge mode can give four times the power (of one of the pair).

This statement makes reference to the fact that power is proportional to the square of the

voltage, implying that if the output voltage is doubled – as it is in bridge mode – then the

power available increases by a factor of four.

The current through the loudspeaker and the amplifier would also double, which could exceed the amplifier ratings and lead to overheating and finally destruction of the amplifier.
    Ever gone to an event ? [ concert/sporting/et cetera ]

What happens to the traffic ?

(vehicles equal current in amperes) - there are a lot of vehicles coming all at once.
    Last edited by Hic; 10-11-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]