Thread: Micro amplifiers

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Micro amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    What is the need for such high output voltage? If an amp only takes xV input, and you have a HU and line driver with a final output >>xV, is it not in the interest of better SNR etc. to remove the line driver from the chain?
    haha I have .9v (POINT NINE) outputs going to my amps. dsp inputs take a max of 2v. Gains on the pds5 are set to .5 according to the dial indicator and gains on the Mosconi are maxed out. I think the Mosconi needs splitters to feed all 4 inputs to get a full signal but it's working fine with just one in each side so eff it. My noise floor is lower than it's ever been with factory headunit, Navone 4ch loc, and tons of cheap 18g speakerwire going from doors to loc, then doors to factory headunit. Sound is dynamic, but I'm sure having a shitload of power helps in that regard too. In other words, my eyes were opened when it comes to low output voltage and how little of an influence it should make on your equipment purchasing.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

The first one I have really liked is the new ID's it sounds really nice. Decent grunt.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I've heard people say the really small footprint amps can be "lifeless" sounding from the lack of pleasurable distortion. I for one can appreciate pleasurable distortion. Would something like the Victory tube preamp on these really small amps give the "tone" that some of us might be missing from the pigs we ran back in the day?
    I tested my Arc that I bought from a member here on my JBL 4412 monitors in place of the normal crown amplifier and if I were to walk in blind I would not say "Hey that's not the crown playing."