Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 07 Yukon XL Metal Fab Center Console Build

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: 07 Yukon XL Metal Fab Center Console Build

Well, I took almost a year off on this build...amazing how a job, a wife and 5 mini-me's running around get in the way of doing projects. If I have learned anything over my life, it is that everyone makes time for what they believe is most important in their lives at that time...needless to say, this build has bubbled its way back to the top for me for the time being.

Here is a little 3 month FunKy Klock nixie tube project I designed and built this spring that just may have spurned me to get back into this build. I hate that I have to remind myself that I really like building stuff!!!

I should have this past weeks progress to post in the next couple days. Spent about 15 hours welding a handful of small peices and drilling and tapping a few holes. This stuff takes waaay more time than I ever imagined! This console has been a major pain in the arss, but I am almost done with the steel skeleton. My KAXBLTWT tweeters arrived last Monday, so that is energizing as well. No clue how I am going to mount those BTW...I will probably hot melt them in a couple places before committing to sail or pillar location and aiming.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Well, now THAT! Is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Major props.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #23

Damn, that's one cool lookin clock!

4. Back To Top    #24

Week 18
    Late September forgot to log and made the Anarchy mounting rings out of hdpe. Used the router to copy the wood template I made earlier. Estimate 6 hours. Any recommendations on what to use to seal hdpe to itself? I plan to screw the hdpe ring to the baffle, but would like to use something to seal the two pieces together. Also what to use to seal the hdpe to the door?

No work from October to July

Week 19
    July 26 - test fitting box into console. Stared at it for a while to remember how I planned to put it together. 3 hours
    July 27 - assembled the last box pieces, sanded some edges to allow better fitment in the console. Cut out metal for box mounting. Test fitting box into console. 3 hours
    July 28 - tack welded box frame mounting brackets for front and back. More test fitting. 3 hours
    Week 20
    Aug 4 - drilled pilot holes for box the frame mounting holes. Final welded front mount. Lots of test fitting. 3 hours
    Aug 5 - final weld rear mount, then welded front and back box mount together and added console mounting tabs. 3 hours
    Aug 6th - drilled and tapped holes to mount console to box mount. Welded back cover bracket to box mount. Getting closer. 3 hours

Week 21
    Aug 10th - cut and bent bar stock and tack welded one side to join lower and upper part of Skeleton that wraps around the box. 3 hours. Realized the pins I had for the harness were incorrect so ordered new pins and 2awg ferrules for the amp. $16 from mouser.

Aug 11th - final welded drilled and tapped holes to mount upper and lower frames together. 3 hours
    Pictures of the original inner console and the skeleton that is replacing it.

Tool Spend to Date $53.75
    Total Gear Spend to Date $1797.00
    Pondering and Building time to Date 84 Hours

5. Back To Top    #25

damn, thats some smarts right there! good job.

6. Back To Top    #26

Week 22
    Aug 25 - I received the pins for the wiring harness connectors. I spent a couple hours diagraming the harness so that the factory amp will still run the rear speakers for media. Prepped the wires to have the pins crimped on at work tomorrow. 3 hours

Aug 26 - crimped the pins at work. Assembled the pins in the connectors when I got home. Attached the RCA connectors. The signal is split from front low level to 4 pair for input into the 2 miniDSPs. Also got the first ends of the RCA cables from the DSP to amp done. Lastly I mounted the mini DSP to the lexan. I am really excited tonight. After finishing these items, I really feel like I can see a light at the end of the tunnel...it feels good that I have passed the halfway mark and maybe even 75%... 4 hours

Pondering and Building time to Date 91 Hours
    Last edited by mike_mn; 08-27-2015 at 09:07 PM.

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Not sure what I'm impressed with the most, the center console, Audison amplifier, or that wiring. Great work!
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #28

that is ALL very well done.

9. Back To Top    #29

Week 22
    Aug 27 - finished the rcas. 3 hours

Decided it would be a good idea to check continuity on the connection an to make sure there was no shorts or opens in the wrongs spots and found 3 out of 6 cables had shorts!!! I pulled them apart and at first didn't see what the problem was then noticed the center screw was touching the outer shell on some of them.

So I took all the screws out of all the ends and soldered all of the center connections to make sure of no future problems.

Pondering and Building time to Date 94 Hours
    Last edited by mike_mn; 08-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.

10. Back To Top    #30

Aug 28 - bought a fuse holder for $7.50 at the auto parts store for the DSPs. What a ripoff...I guess you gotta pay for convenience... 2 hours work tonight.

It needs a little customization...it had a nice seem to slice open...and modify.

And this is more like what I was looking for.

I am using the cap connection for the supply for the fuse, then I will run the line along with the remote line back to the miniIsolator which provides a delayed turn on turn off output for the amp.

Total Gear Spend to Date $1804.50
    Pondering and Building time to Date 96 Hours