Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headunit rant...

1. Back To Top    #1

Headunit rant...

Most people who know me know I have a thing for headunits. I can't find the perfect one. While there are many that come close enough, none hit the mark, which is why I cycle through so many. Over time, I've come to realize it's all thanks to marketing. For example, take this photo of the Alpine I recently purchased:

Looks decent enough (sans the chicklet source button). The 3 line LCD looks good. So, when I ordered it and got it in, I was a bit aggravated to see the amount of bleedthrough from the LCD backlight. Here's a real-world picture:

You may write this off to the setting on the headunit, but that's not why. The 3-level options for illumination don't change the low level of contrast/sharpness on the LCD. And it aggravates the snot out of me.

Here's another example. The Pioneer 80prs:
    http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...s.33388252.jpg
    vs what you really get:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...ure_id=1182943

Or the JVC Arsenal single-din:
    http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=120&page=1

^ in real life, the issue is the same as with the others.

To date, the only single din I've found that has a great looking display is the P99 which uses an OEL display (same as most of the other Pioneers) but is somehow different enough that it has a very nice sharpness to it and the black behind is BLACK.

Last night I went so far as to take the headunit apart and put a black gel insert between the LCD and it's backlight. It helped. But still didn't completely resolve the issue and in daylight is a slight bit harder to read when wearing sunglasses than it was before.

If the Alpine LCD looked as sharp as it does in the picture I'd be satisfied. At this point, I'm exploring options on fixing this by possibly getting a better LCD or a different display altogether.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Re: Headunit rant...

I know the feeling, I've pretty damn picky when it comes to HU's. Trying to find an attractive none touch screen DD was and is a pain in the ass. Though I am a bit surprised that the screen on the Alpine is that bad considering that it is there current flagship single din offering.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

stock HU FTW!!! lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Head units are like modern sneakers....they are all ugly, you just choose the level of ugly you can deal with........

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

I am telling you Erin, either deal with the lack of options you get with an older unit that is much better built or deal with the modern features of shitty head units.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's not even features that I'm complaining about. If they'd just make a screen that doesn't look washed out, I'd be fine with the other issues I have. I get sold on these h/u's and then get it in my hands and realize the sun is shining through the back of them and the resolution is garbage.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Moral of the story... trust Sonic Electronix pics...

I HAVE thought about finding and modding an OEM GM radio for the truck for that system.... I gotta have bluetooth though.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Moral of the story... trust Sonic Electronix pics...
    they're the first site I search when I want to see pictures of something. hi-res and realistic.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just out of curiosity, why don't very many people on here use Kenwood exalon head units? I have been told that they are about the only ones who still use audiophile grade components and still have that level of sound quality.
    Using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

We've actually got a member that is trying out an Excelon deck; chithead. Though as for your question, Kenwood kinda fell off the map for a while and focused mainly on the low cost high volume gear and there merger with JVC kinda removed some of there SQ cred. Though I do agree that they are still making a top notch product and I would also through JVC's arsenal and some of the top level regular gear in there as well.