Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Component or coax?

1. Back To Top    #1

Component or coax?

Hey guys,want to upgrade the door speakers in my 18 f150, my question is should I get components or coax? I'm not planning on adding an amp or anything extra just door speakers. I'm under the assumption that components come with separate tweeters and my stock head unit won't be able to properly power them for them to sound good,where as coax is an all in one.what do you guys think I should go with?
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Component or coax?

It's going to depend on how much installing you want to do. A 2-way component set of speakers comes with a passive crossover (little box with set). This will let you power the mid and tweet with one channel. You just need to consider where you are going to put two speakers and a passive crossover box per door. If you don't mind that challenge then a set of components is a nice little upgrade. However, coax speakers can be fantastic sounding and generally fit in OEM spaces very easily. Just plug and play.

I would probably just suggest some coax. Easy breezy!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

unless there is a comp set that drops in factory locations, I'd say coax too

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The morel's are a popular choice for the f150. 6.5" for the door and the tweeter in the factory sail location. Keep all factory wiring in place. Let the door 6.5" naturally roll off and just connect the crossover to the factory tweeter wires and then mount the crossover under the dash.

If you want more, and don't want to worry about the tuning aspect, get the kicker key 180.4 amp with a pretty good auto tune and the FOR-11ck harness for no cut no play. Run that active with the factory door speakers going to the door and then run new tweeter wires from the amp.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

What package do you have? Unfortunately, with newer vehicles, it's sometimes not as easy as just, "swapping speakers" like you could before. At least, not to get the most potential out of them as you could.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    What package do you have? Unfortunately, with newer vehicles, it's sometimes not as easy as just, "swapping speakers" like you could before. At least, not to get the most potential out of them as you could.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Regarding the package its an xlt 302a.... Im thinking I'm just gonna go with coax morel maximo. Should I do the front and back of just the front?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Front & back will get louder .

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Check out the f150 forums and the stereo/audio section. Lots of very happy customers with the morel component set vs. coaxial with better or worse optioned trucks....also, if you are worried about the components not being powered properly, you should also be worried about the coaxials not being powered properly. You still have 2 or 3 speakers in a coaxial, they are just all mounted to the same body. Components just have them not mounted together so you can place them in a more ideal position.

Get the components....you will not regret them....you might the coaxials....
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

If all you plan to do is power the speakers with the factory radio than you might be happier with a coaxial speaker that is rated over 90% efficient at 1 watt 1 meter. Those would make the best use of the factory power. JBL, Pioneer, Kicker, and Kenwood make decent sounding coaxial speakers for that purpose.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

These are a great choice for the newer trucks: 6x9 for the door and tweeter for the factory a-pillar location.
    Morel Tempo Ultra 692
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Q6VBt...Ultra-692.html