Thread: Tiny 4" Subwoofers hit 25hz!! Great box = Great results [ Dayton ND105-4" ]

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Tiny 4" Subwoofers hit 25hz!! Great box = Great results [ Dayton ND105-4" ]

I don't know if you build speakers, but the things they are coming out with nowadays are incredible. If you like physics, maybe it could be a good hobby for you because I assure you, this video is real. Don't let what you think you know fool you into thinking someone would take the time to create this video to mislead people about a 4 inch "midbass driver", which is categorized as such because going up to 10kHz is not quite full range and in a small sealed box will probably not respond highly below around 70 hz. In a decent vented box it can easily reach around 30 hz. With a huge box tuned around 10-15 hz it can still put out. It has the airspace and the power and excursion. They are pretty low sensitivity, (look at the surrounds, the outer suspension) and can definitely be used as a subwoofer.

Dayton ND105-4" - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--290-212
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?€Somewhere 0ut There€}]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny 4" Subwoofers hit 25hz!! Great box = Great results [ Dayton ND105-4" ]

I find it hard to believe a 4+ cube net box is "great" for a pair of those drivers.
    Build log: 2011 Chevrolet Impala
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370
    Ground Zero GZHA 4200XII & 2400XII

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Great or not, still damn impressive for an experiment.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Nice video on using router with round over, rabbitting, et cetera ( type bits )

Adding mids to car doors

Last edited by Hic; 07-27-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?€Somewhere 0ut There€}]

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I find it hard to believe a 4+ cube net box is "great" for a pair of those drivers.
    it looks like he had a pair 15's in there and thought "what the hell" and dropped in the fours. Obviously the box wasn't built for them

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post

Adding mids to car doors

i've been adding foam weatherstripping to speakers to recreate the factory seals for over 10 years now. those foam rings pictured are pretty darn thick for most applications. a few doors i've seen could benefit but most just need 1/2" or less of weatherstripping around the baffle. more foam is not necessarily better as the foam can fold in and put pressure on the surround.
    I make stuff