Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KHA 2014 Accord Sport SQ Build

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

KHA 2014 Accord Sport SQ Build

gonna keep up a copy of this on here, and i'll link to it in a few other forums in my sig to boost traffic.

my previous 2001 Accord build log has had 300,000+ views across a few forums (SoundDomain being the dominant source and the original build log).

Starting with a new platform. A 2014 Accord Sport.

System will consist of the factory head unit (BT with Pandora and vehicle integration) that will feed an Alpine CDA-9887. The Imprint kit will be used with the HU.
    An Audison LRx-5.1k will be the amp and will be ran active to the Hertz MLK-165 and a Hertz ML3000.

I will connect the factory HU output into a LOC with source equalization (like a JL Cleansweep or similar) and feed the 9887 AUX input.

The 9887 will act as a pre-amp in most situations. It will be interesting to see what I need to do to control noise.

The active noise cancelling mics (there are two) will be defeated using relays that also tie to the sub output. I want the ability to take advantage of noise cancelling when the music is low or off while driving clients and co-workers around.

Here are some pics of the car. I'm a huge fan of the cosmetics. I like the inside even more than the exterior.

I want T/A and independent level adjustment per channel and I want it adjustable from the dash. so it's either a processor or the plan above.

also, for competition, the 9887 is a CD source that is totally independent of the factory system. I can live with a reduction in SQ for daily listening but not critical listening.

another option is to add an optical output to the factory CD player and tie that into an optical input to a processor. but then I cannot use the volume control on the deck.

time to open the door and see what i'm working with.

The black rubber covering is very thin. This will be quickly replaced (or covered) with Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) for improved noise isolation.
    I make stuff

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

Re: KHA 2014 Accord Sport SQ Build

the factory 6.5" speaker has a plastic adapter that is 3/4" thick on the top and there is about 1/2" of thickness on the stock door panel where a thin plastic lip meets up with the speaker foam ring:

the speaker opening has a mushroom shape because Honda thought using screws at three corners was time consuming.

this limits available diameter and explains why most sites (like Crutchfield) recommend a 5-1/4" speaker for the front. a shallow mount and/or neo-magnet 6.5" speaker would probably fit fine with a standard adapter.

the good news is that the window stops before it gets too far into the opening

but depth is nearly unlimited

the depth from the metal opening to the window (at the top of the opening) is 2".

luckily, with Scosche adapters the Mille woofers fit. so standard MDF rings will be sufficient.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-02-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    I make stuff

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

got the EX sail panel tweeter mounts in from HondaPartsDeals.
    with the factory tweeter rings the opening is 1-7/16". without the opening is oddly cut and around 1-7/8".

The ML28 tweeters can fit in a number of ways. From behind using the factory rings or in place of the factory rings using Hertz mounts.

just like it was meant to be, the ML28 fit in the factory mounts perfectly. i was concerned the depth of the ML28 would be an issue but there is a good 1/8" clear - enough for CCF on the sail metal behind the tweeter. these things don't even need adhesive.

I make stuff

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

I like the gauges on this model, more than the other cars I test drove.

I eeked 40 mpg out of the car on the long trip the other day, range was up to 600 miles on a full tank. 37+ mpg hwy was consistent on the 850 mile drive.

factory radio schematic

when taking the car apart, looking at exploded diagrams ahead of time helps me identify clips and screw locations

did some deadening of the driver's door. three sheets so 6 sq. ft. so far.

i put the factory barrier back on and reinstalled the door panel. door is noticeably more dead/damped than the passenger door.

you will not see 100% or 200% coverage with this car. i will add until i feel resonance is minimized then move on. certainly, 200% coverage will be more damped but with my other methods this should suffice.

there is about 2 sq. ft. you cannot see that is on the backside of the inner panel. i didn't want to cover up the factory adhesive ring at this time since i reused the factory barrier.

the openings are large - obviously. i haven't finalized a covering material yet. rigidity is preferred as that will help stiffen the inner door panel. i can stick with aluminum and probably be ok
    I make stuff

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

I wanted to look more into the door wiring and it turns out that Honda has been gracious as of late. While they do use a Molex plug for the door, it is not tight to the frame so you can easily run wire through the factory grommet. While looking at that I saw two spare grommets located next to the hood latch wire and grommet.

Inside, the routing is fairly simple. I think I can fit it along the sill on the opposite side of the factory wiring, then follow a factory path down to the floor through a white channel.

Turns out this is a very quick and easy route for power wiring and likely a route used for the Touring Accord's Cruise Control Radar wiring. jacked up the front corner of the car and I removed 5-6 of the inner fender lining to gain access.

I secured the power wire every 5-6" using zip ties to the hood latch cable. The power wire is protected in split loom while inside the fender and engine bay then protected by techflex while inside the cabin.

Besides pulling the 1/0 power wire, I also pulled 9 other wires through the second grommet. These wires will be used for alarm and other functions.

i really like how Honda put sound absorption on the backside of every panel.

it's even inside the inner fender.

and the floor mat is 2" thick
    I make stuff

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

Uncorrelated Pink Noise (Autosound 2000 Disc 102) played through the stock CD player. All speakers on, car off, balance center, fader center, bass +3, treble +2. Mic at driver's head position (held in front of me while sitting in seat with driver's seat fully back). Head unit volume on 29 with SVC off. stock system is four 6.5" full-range woofers.

With ANC on.

With ANC off (through head unit disable procedure)

Background noise (car off) - note scale is not the same as above.

measurement of driver's front speaker only, door open, 6" from door speaker, on-axis

FYI - the response is pretty good of the stock system. low frequency roll-off starts at 50Hz and high frequency roll-off starts at 10kHz. as expected given speaker size and lack of tweeters.
    I make stuff

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

stripping for treatment

how about a 2" thick floor pad?

I make stuff

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

rear lights removed for more deadening access

next to put this inside every void of the car

I make stuff

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

trunk lid deadened and stuffed - it's rock solid now

outer sides deadened and stuffed (still need to treat what's left)

rear cavity stuffed

rear deck deadened and stuffed

I got a lot more deadening to do, but the rear is already sounding better.
    I make stuff

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Rich

Thanks Rich for posting over here! I will be following it closely .

Thanks for the other info you passed on to me. I appreciate it.