Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 2014 Spring NC Meet - 26 April 2014 - near Greensboro, NC

Real Name
    Jason

2014 Spring NC Meet - 26 April 2014 - near Greensboro, NC

Making sure this event is posted here........and you all can dump your pics on this thread after the meet. Except for Al.......no more geezer references

I want to mention that we will be offering a short but informative tuning seminar during the meet.

We will also have some reference headphones set up for folks to get a listen to. If you have a set of headphones that you want to bring - feel free.

Where:
    At my house near Greensboro - PM for the address - I am not going to post it here.

When:
    Saturday, 26 April 2014 - 9:00am - 9:00pm

Food:
    Probably snack items for lunch - BBQ for late lunch / early dinner like we did last Fall

Stuff to bring:

Yourself
    A friend / spouse / kids (unless they are rowdy - thinking the kids from Raising Arizona......'FART')
    Your vehicle with or without anything setup/tuned
    Favorite Music on discs
    Camera
    Lawn chair if you want it
    Openness to learn, ask questions, take constructive critisim and humbly give advice/criticism

2. Back To Top    #171
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Re: 2014 Spring NC Meet - 26 April 2014 - near Greensboro, NC

Just sent you a friend request thanks. I have enjoy you meet disc it is extremely similar to my SQ demo playlist on my Iproducts. Although I do prefer some your versions of tracks. I think you'll enjoy some of my imports or live editions too. So what software did you use to chop them up. I have some pro edit stuff but just curious.

BTW I have decided I need to hack the software of the DRZ9255 and add some crossover points and add independent rt & lt gain controls.

3. Back To Top    #172
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Thanks for the invite but I am not and never will be on FB.
    You'd have to have friends

4. Back To Top    #173
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

I was thinking the other day about my mix disc. I was wondering if anyone 'got it' - what I meant by putting those particular tracks on the disc. I decided to punch out a few comments per track to let folks know about the various tracks. Some of these discs may have found their way to the garbage can, to the stack of burned mix discs that everyone has, the back floorboard of the car......but I thought, someone might like to sit and listen with a little blurb about each track - that might be interesting. So here is the track list again, and my notes.

2014 Spring Meet Mix Disc

1. Always Remember – Brian Culbertson: A lot of you might have this disc – it is a old classic – just a lot of fun – very clean recording / production – can really crank the volume on this track, and if you have a balanced tune - nothing should ‘hurt’ even with the volume pegged.

2. Anninnia – Musica Nuda: I heard one of their tracks on another mix disc that I got from someone, and I loved it. They are from Italy – Stand Up Bass and vocal – and that is it. I loved this track because of the quality of the Bass sound, and her voice really draws you in to the track. Such an airy quality to it – hear the room sounds. Decent track for staging as well – Double bass on one side vocalists on the other – really like the dual vocalist – hearing the separation, distinctness of the two voices.

3. Cirez D – Tomorrow: Love this track for pounding bass – once the intro ends, you better have a handle on the volume knob. There is a good chance everything will start shaking! Very cleanly recorded though – it should be extremely tight….put some pieces of the track together to provide ‘the good stuff’.

4. Dancing Flue and Drum – Dr. Chesky: This is off the binaural album that I downloaded from HD Tracks. Pretty cool tech if you look up binaural recording. Great track for soundstage – recorded in a cathedral in NYC – tight bass tones.

5. Dirtfloorcracker – Jj Grey & Mofro: Clay gave me a copy of this disc, and I had to buy it off of Amazon – loved it! Just a real gritty rock track. Good mid bass / sub bass – but mostly just fun!

6. Drum solo – Dr. Chesky: Again – binaural – recorded in cathedral – some really like to crank the volume on drum tracks – should get a really good cymbal splash with this.

7. Eyes on Fire – Blue Foundation: I’m a fan of dub step…I can’t help it – very fun music. Good vocals at the beginning – some really nice electronic bass – dub step type sound ☺

8. Fly Me to the Moon – Diana Panton: Got this from one of Ally’s mix discs. I have a couple versions of this track, and I really like the quality of her voice. Maybe a little slower rendition - should get very good piano tones as well.

9. Georgia on my Mind – Kazumi Watanabe: I got this one from Matt recently – amazing mix with a very strong stand up bass on the far left side of the sound stage……just killing those door mounted 6.5’s. Then you have a little bit of guitar on the far right of the stage, and then a nice voice centered up. A very stripped down track – with really only 3 things going on in it.

10. Great and Mighty – Cru: Song of faith – hopefully everyone won’t simply track advance when they hear it. Live recording – probably a large coliseum type area. I really like the drums at the beginning – very dynamic – should hit hard. The vocalist is amazing to me – I love her range – going from low to high to low again – the track should give a sense of being in an arena hearing this performed.

11. Hallelujah – Katherine Jenkins: I got this one from Linda’s mix. Can’t ever have too many versions of this track – especially with beautiful Katherine singing it. I started the recording at the end of the track because I thought there was some beautiful notes there. Listen for the perfect midrange tones here – should be an involving track that evokes emotion…not simply technical merit.

12. Hey Laura – Gregory Porter: Another one from Linda (thanks!). Nicely centered male voice that has great range. Listen closely to the timbre of his voice – is it overly nasally, is it weak and thin – or full and ‘real’? Nice sax piece as well – listen for the reality of this instrument.

13. In Your Eyes – Maya Isacowitz: Thank you Eddie! I bought this disc after hearing it on one of Eddie’s mixes. Sent to me straight form Israel. Wonderful voice – raw! I love the low note she gets!!! That guitar pluck is difficult as well (4 low hits – can’t remember what frequency) – those plucks should be there, but not too heavy.

14. It’s Tricky – Run D.M.C.: Just a fun track – got this from Thumper – he had the boldness to put it on his Freezefest mix disc, so I felt like copying suite.

15. Jasmine Flower – I Ching: This is another one I downloaded from HD Tracks – beautiful melody with the flute / recorder. I like it though when the bass notes come in – again, should have authority and be defined – without being obnoxious and taking over the entire mix.

16. Jupiter – Holst: I performed this track for completion in Orchestra when I was in High School – fell in love with this composition – just the emotion, passion in the writing. This track has huge dynamics! The cymbal crashes should be extremely impactful without hurting (too much). I love the tambourine and the full lows in the brass sections. The strings should be well defined and ‘fast’. Should hear good tympani play as well. This is an 8 minute plus track that I broke up in 3 pieces

17. Katikitki – Thokoza: I got this from Richard’s Freezefest mix and I love it! There is something about African music that stirs something inside me. I especially love the width of the soundstage on this track when the background vocals come in….brilliant! Listen closely to separate the various singers – I also like the bongos. A deeper drum comes in – should have a lot of good tone to it without it being a big sub, electronic bass sound.

18. Left Channel ID Test – Dr. Chesky: Binaural album – you should hear this in a good set of headphones – freaky – really does feel like someone is whispering in your ear!

19. Let Her Go – Passenger: I got this from Kirk – was on his Freezefest disc. I love this guy’s voice – had no idea what to expect when I looked him up. Very cool – when Mark was showing me the difference of the tweeter angling – this is one of the tracks he used. With the tweeters more on axis, the strikes of the mallet on the xylophone was very distinct – when we moved the tweeters back to the original position, the strikes were far from distinct.

20. Lochloosa – Jj Grey & Mofro: Love this groove – just a fun track!

21. Love Keep Us Together – Martin Sexton: Great folk type track – awesome voice – very precise guitar part with a nice shaker.

22. Maki Maki – Goran Bregovic: His track ‘Sex’ was on another mix disc, and I loved it. My buddy Sam told me that his album was extremely well recorded – very fun Gypsy music. I downloaded it and found it to be exactly what Sam stated. I love the vocals……the funeral feel at the beginning…then the percussion instruments defining the soundstage. I love the tuba that should be very powerful – in line with the bass drum. This should be a track that can be turned up to show how dynamic the system is. Should really move you.

23. Mustapha Dance – The Clash: Who doesn’t like The Clash? Again, just a fun track that can be turned up to insane spl levels. Great percussion, good definition of the soundstage.

24. Nessun Dorma – Luciano Pavarotti: I like Opera…..and I can admit it! Especially Pavarotti – he has such a quality to his voice…..to my ears, he just stands out. I absolutely adore this piece of music – one of my absolute favorites, and so I included this one. Try to give it a listen…..at least from an SQ perspective.

25. Never Say Blue – Hayley Westenra: I got this one from Richard as well. I love her voice – I like how it starts with a simple piano piece. A great example of not having L/R EQ correct. When she says the first word – Today – the ‘To’ part was to the right in my car, and then ‘day’ was centered. I had to track down what the frequency was for ‘to’ and correct that……I got it right eventually.

26. One – Rodrigo y Gabriella: Love this duo….incredible artists. Got this from Mic, and it shows incredible detail of the timbre of the strings. It also is a nice soundstage track with Rodrigo on the right (I think), and then Gabriella on the far left.

27. Orion – Metallica: I got this one from Ally (Thanks!). Incredible bass drum! To my ears, there really is only one bass drum hit that sounds just like that…..Lars! Especially live! I cut a few pieces of this track to shorten it and get the good parts…should be dynamic and fun.

28. Pool Mashup – Just the way you are: Another one from Richard – the first parts (when turned up) can really hurt. I love the layering of voices – showing width and depth. Fun track!

29. Professionalitia – Music Nuda: Again, just fun – stand up bass and two Italians talking very quickly. My wife really couldn’t stand this track, but I think it is pretty cool ☺

30. Right Channel

31. River of Deceit – Mad Season: I got this from the Phoenix meet disc – I love this track – very cool to hear a live version as well. As soon as you hear that first chord, you may be able to recognize the track. The drums have a subdued energy to them…..and Staley’s voice…….Classic!!! The track has a lot of emotion……you can feel it just building until release.

32. Sami Bayyati – Sukoon – Dr. Chesky: I thought this was a pretty cool track – have to really listen closely and focus – strings start, there is a murmur to the left of the soundstage, and then it opens up to full percussion – additional strings. Very well recorded.

33. Sapphire – Bonobo: Just a fun track – great groove – I was enjoying this in a hotel room a week before the meet and decided it had to be on there. Again, intro and then bass comes in – should be thick and full without overpowering the entire mix.

34. Storms are on the ocean – Amber Rubarth – Dr. Chesky: Binaural – very well recorded folk sound – get the quality of her voice – room that it was recorded in (I think this was the cathedral in NYC).

35. Timber – Pitbull: Got this from Richard’s fun Freezefest mix. Just a great track for turning it up and headbobbing. Nice bass sound of course – the vocals and ‘harmonica’ shouldn’t rip your head off at high volumes.

36. Titanium – Heather Janssen: I got this track from Mic……HJ is one of the most talented vocalists I have heard. I watched a bunch of her YouTube videos – just an amazing voice. I love this track – so much emotion – such an intimate track – it can get a bit harsh when she belts it out.

37. Under 21 – Save Ferris: One of my favorite Ska bands! I love the bass part on this track – one of the tracks that blew me away when I first put in the SI BM! Such a tight, fast – hard hitting bass. I love the tweeter sound as well. Just a fun, in your face track to see if your system is going to hurt you or not.

38. White Walls – Macklemore: Another Richard, Freezefest track – lots of fun – love the sub bass sweeps!

39. The Wrong Side – Jj Grey & Mofro: Again, what an amazing groove! Very good rock drum part – and a very nuanced voice – I would guess that it took a lot of hard livin’ to get that voice.

5. Back To Top    #174

Thanks Jason. I've been working on my tune for the past couple days since getting back home and now that I have a couple presets that are pretty decent I'm going to go through your whole disk and see what's what since it has such a good variety of music.

6. Back To Top    #175

I never got me a disc, Jason. I always get me a disc. Fail.

7. Back To Top    #176
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Fail!

8. Back To Top    #177
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71