Thread: Trying to come up with a simple build idea.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Tacoma

Trying to come up with a simple build idea.

Happy Holidays everybody!

I’ve moved recently and as I look at all the years’ worth of gear I’ve used/saved, I realize how much time and money I’ve invested into this life of sound. lol. For better or worse.

I'm Divorced and have young Kids so I’m trying to simplify my whole life. I ripped everything out of my vehicle but now am bored with the stock stereo again so was hoping to get some suggestions or feedback as to the simplest way to get some real tunes again.

My vehicle is a 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE/ NON JBL.

I ran a Stinger Heigh10 for a while but was tired of it poking out of the dash. I ran a Topping from my phone to my DSP for a while but got tired of not being able to make and receive calls and use CarPlay. I just want my sh*t to work and sound decent for a daily. No comps, no time for that.

I’ve got JL Audio FiX and 2 different TwK’s, a MiniDSP Harmony Amp/DSP combo that I don’t have time to learn about.

I have a Zapco 150.4 LX and a 150.6 SP and a Rockford Fosgate R2 500/4.

Currently have CDT Unity 8’s and CL69’s for front.

Sub amps are JL HD750/1 or a CT Sounds 2000.1D

I need the sub(s) to be behind the 3rd row so pretty much limited to my JBL W12GTi MKii at this point(have Dayton UM18 and 2 SI HTv3 18’s as well as one W15GTi MKii but all those take up too much real estate).

Have a Kocker KeyLOC too.

I’m way too deep in this and want some direction. If I need to get rid of some stuff to get something more functional that’s fine.

I want to be able to use the HU(stock or an aftermarket), able to make and receive phone calls, and nav on CarPlay and still have a decent amplified system of front Widebands and Midbasses as well as rear speakers for the Kids. Crazy SQ or SPL is not needed at this point. Just functional and fun and if possible, SIMPLE. Way too much wiring before.

Also have some AF components but I am happy with the CDT’s. Can throw some whatever’s in the rear if stock can’t handle things.

Oh yea, and Toyota has All Pass filters and PAC’s don’t work with the Non JBL. Only room for amps or DSP’s is under cargo floor which is tight. Leaning toward getting a Helix P Six DSP or JL Multichannel VXi. I don’t want to tune anything tho. Looked into Alpine Optim8 but not sure with the weird mid bass channels it has. Even looked into Pioneer 6600 NEX as it fits in the stock location but then I’d still need a dang DSP cause it can only T/A 4 channels. Pulling what’s left of my hair out here. lol.

Any suggestions? lol.
    Last edited by Marc1234; 01-03-2024 at 06:37 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Re: Trying to come up with a simple build idea.

Here's my uneducated opinion
    I think you'll be ok to keep the factory deck. I would recommend the Harmony if its the one with DIRAC built in. If it's not; use the JL Fix and Twk as the processor.
    Keep your CDT fronts, put the Frogs in the rear if they fit otherwise don't bother with them you'll have plenty of volume from the fronts for everyone to hear it.
    If you use the Harmony you don't need any other amps. (maybe more power for sub see below)
    If you don't use the Harmony I'd use the Zapco 6 channel to run everything and use the JL 750/1 to run the JBL 12" sub.

Sell the remaining.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Here's my uneducated opinion
    I think you'll be ok to keep the factory deck. I would recommend the Harmony if its the one with DIRAC built in. If it's not; use the JL Fix and Twk as the processor.
    Keep your CDT fronts, put the Frogs in the rear if they fit otherwise don't bother with them you'll have plenty of volume from the fronts for everyone to hear it.
    If you use the Harmony you don't need any other amps. (maybe more power for sub see below)
    If you don't use the Harmony I'd use the Zapco 6 channel to run everything and use the JL 750/1 to run the JBL 12" sub.

Sell the remaining.
    Thank you! Seems solid logic. The Harmony does indeed have Dirac and that is why I initially got it. Seems very daunting to tune it tho. Maybe I can find someone around my area or remotely to help me with that. I know there are remote tuners for other DSP’s. If I go that route, my understanding is that I’ll need to find and neutralize the All Pass filters or use the Kicker KeyLOC to do it automatically in front of the Harmony, right?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1234 View Post
    Thank you! Seems solid logic. The Harmony does indeed have Dirac and that is why I initially got it. Seems very daunting to tune it tho. Maybe I can find someone around my area or remotely to help me with that. I know there are remote tuners for other DSP’s. If I go that route, my understanding is that I’ll need to find and neutralize the All Pass filters or use the Kicker KeyLOC to do it automatically in front of the Harmony, right?
    That I don't know. Someone should be able to chime in though that does.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Tacoma

I guess I could put the Heigh10 back in and then run RCA’s and an Optical to the back and whatever I decide it’ll be wired up. Maybe my local shop can help me with the mounting to get it squared away since they sell them. Toyota sure makes it difficult to swap out their stuff. I will be happy with simply T/A and crossovers set on the Harmony and when I get bored I can always delve into actually running Dirac and see what it’s got.
    Last edited by Marc1234; 01-04-2024 at 02:54 PM.