Thread: Michael Johnson/Matt Holt - 1985 Toyota MR2 - 1999 AS&S

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Michael Johnson/Matt Holt - 1985 Toyota MR2 - 1999 AS&S

Larson, Mike "Obsession" Auto Sound & Security September 1999: 14-18.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Michael Johnson/Matt Holt - 1985 Toyota MR2 - 1999 AS&S

This makes me so happy to see! This article has been in my head for decades but all I could remember about it was the color of the car, make and model of course, and that it was very tidy and simple. I have pretty much based all my installs on this template.

jump forward 20 years, almost to the day I read this, my wife and I bought an ‘85 MR2 sight unseen off the Internet. We spent the fall of 2019 restoring it with every new part we could find and a few donor cars to make one complete car. We drove it basically OEM+ for a year or so. We had done all the bushings and the same Eibach/Koni suspension combo mentioned in this article (I certainly did not rememeber that part — it’s just a tried and true solution for these cars), an exhaust header to replace the cracked OEM manifold, and a few other little upgrades.

Last summer while hitting some yard sales I spotted a set of MB Quart speakers. The owner had no idea what they were but I knew the crossover boxes from my days of reading car audio magazines. That got me all excited about car audio again and I quickly sourced some more vintage gear from the early 00s to finish off the build. The only thing I have left to do is build a nice subwoofer box like the one shown in the article. I’m currently using a JL audio 10TW3 in a prefab box, a newer model but the low profile sub just makes sense here.

Anyway, it turns out I made a lot of similar choices as this build more by chance than by memory. I put those MB Quart 6.5”s in the doors and added a 4” and tweeter in the dash. I’m even running PPI amps! Thanks again so much for scanning and posting this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5513.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	18777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	18775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5420.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	18776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	18778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	18779