Thread: Where's my sq peeps at? Help me with choosing mids

1. Back To Top    #1

Where's my sq peeps at? Help me with choosing mids

I'm a die hard bass head and have always struggled to have my front stage keep up with my sub stage. I've ran everything from high end Cdt,jl audio, Polk, and diamond audio and have all failed. I run lots of power to them so they eventually give up on so I've resorted to pro audio which keep up really well when I run full tilt but with some distortion, and at moderate volumes when driving daily the sound quality is not there Anyways I recently purchased a zapco z150.6 from captain obvious and my whole front stage has come back to life. I'm currently running ct sounds 6.5 pro audio mids with Memphis aluminum tweets in 2 way active off my pioneer deh p 800prs and I can now run full tilt with no distortion, so I'm wondering if I can run good pro audios and have really good sound quality. I know you guys might be against it but I need loud mids and highs to keep up with my 5k sub stage and I don't wanna drop 5-800$ on a high quality component system and have it crap out on me. I'm seriously considering ordering some horns from Eric from image dynamics and some b&c 6.5's http://www.parts-express.com/bc-6mdn...eaker--294-645
    What do you guys think? Is there something better? I listen to all kinds of music but mostly rap, edm, country (classic and new) and some rock.
    Here's my current setup:
    Pioneer deh p 800 prs (copper chassis)
    Zapco z150.6 I will bridge 4 channels for mids and use the other 2 for horns
    All soundrive rcas
    4 runs of 1/0 cable
    Sub stage
    Rd audio d9
    2-12" ssa zcon d1.2 in a 5 cu enclosure tuned to 36hz
    6 banks of maxwell 2.6 farad ultracapacitors
    All in a trunk of a 2010 Toyota corolla S

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Randal Johnson
    Vehicle
    1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Re: Where's my sq peeps at? Help me with choosing mids

I'm running a pair of Linear Power (Blues Car Audio) 5.25" midrange drivers and have no problems ... Nice, Strong, Clear, Dynamic at just about any volume.
    I'm pushing about 150 wpc through them (Linear Power LP2150) ...

Best of luck with your search brother !!!
    Team Linear Power / Hyper Lights ... 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cablguy184 View Post
    I'm running a pair of Linear Power (Blues Car Audio) 5.25" midrange drivers and have no problems ... Nice, Strong, Clear, Dynamic at just about any volume.
    I'm pushing about 150 wpc through them (Linear Power LP2150) ...

Best of luck with your search brother !!!
    Those do look impressive , I'd say they're a bit out of my budget (I'd wanna spend about $600) but if they can take the power I'm running I might consider them. Are you running them active?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

That amp will put out WAY more than 150 watts bridged. Exodus Anarchy's are what I'd run with that power (if you can fit them)

5. Back To Top    #5

I gotta give credit to Blues, it takes a massive pair of balls to ask almost $1k for a set of what look like rebranded LPG tweeters and a stamped basked mid with a ferrite magnet and no mention of any sort of copper or aluminum in the motor. Those B&C's in the first post are more of a midrange and would need to be crossed too high to be used in a 2 way setup. I would look into the 6ndl38 or 6ndl44 instead.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    That amp will put out WAY more than 150 watts bridged. Exodus Anarchy's are what I'd run with that power (if you can fit them)
    Anarchy's are too deep and I don't wanna modify the the doors cuz I don't plan on keeping this car for too long.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    I gotta give credit to Blues, it takes a massive pair of balls to ask almost $1k for a set of what look like rebranded LPG tweeters and a stamped basked mid with a ferrite magnet and no mention of any sort of copper or aluminum in the motor. Those B&C's in the first post are more of a midrange and would need to be crossed too high to be used in a 2 way setup. I would look into the 6ndl38 or 6ndl44 instead.
    The 6ndl44 will take more power so I will probably end up getting those. I was going to cross the ones I posted at 120hz cuz I figured with a 150 db substage I won't be able to here the mids go any lower than that. That's something I've always been curious about. I have yet to hear a well balanced front stage which is why I'm so excited to try it out for myself. I love hearing my music loud and crystal clear, it's my getaway from life and stress.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you're considering horns you could also use something like this to keep things simple and get similar output.
    http://www.parts-express.com/bc-6hcx...-ohm--294-5762

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Randal Johnson
    Vehicle
    1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Garcia915 View Post
    Those do look impressive , I'd say they're a bit out of my budget (I'd wanna spend about $600) but if they can take the power I'm running I might consider them. Are you running them active?
    Quote Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
    I gotta give credit to Blues, it takes a massive pair of balls to ask almost $1k for a set of what look like rebranded LPG tweeters and a stamped basked mid with a ferrite magnet and no mention of any sort of copper or aluminum in the motor.
    I was more or less talking about the use of a 5.25" driver setup rather than the brand of drivers ...

I don't know anything about how they are made, "rebranded" or whatever ... I just know they sound great, can take an obscene amount of power, give amazing sound and dynamics compared to more expencive component sets (most 6.5" sets in that range too) ... I've demo'd several vehicles since installing my components ...

I know they are up there, but not $1k ... I'm sure that if you was interested in the brand, Ray would talk to you personally and work something out ...

But like I said ... I was mainly referring to the use of a 5.25" driver over a 4" driver for midrange ...
    Last edited by cablguy184; 03-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
    Team Linear Power / Hyper Lights ... 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I'm not sure how far Odessa is from Oklahoma City but there's a car audio g2g going on there and there will be over 20 well balanced systems to listen to. It would give you an idea of what to listen for and a bar to set for yourself. It would be worth the drive if you can make it. You can read up about it in the events section on this forum.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.