Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the best digital EQ now?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: what is the best digital EQ now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    I throw in Mosconi into the mix.
    Up to 12 channels of output depending on model, sophisticated input EQ including allpass, Notch and shelving filters, input time delay compensation, up to 4 global EQs, up to 10 band of filters for each channel, integrated measurement system including automatic time alignment, Auto-EQ for single drivers and global EQ, automatic phase correction after setting time alignment, crossovers and output filters.
    Mixer where you can add, substract, mix signals from different sources, triggers for different sources. Triggers can use EQs, delay and output gains from other presets.
    Ability to incorporate a CAN bus module for cars like when you want to use a digital source like a phone or digital audio player and still keeping stock volume, balance, fader and other controls if they are actually controlled via CAN bus....

Yes, at least in the US it comes with a price, but feature and soundwise it's easily on the same level as Helix.
    That phase correction is not actually measuring phase itself. It is just changing the phase of a driver to driver interaction, remeasure, check, repeat. There is no gurantees that it is actually aligning the phase the best it can be without measuring the phase directly. You could get the phase correct for that crossover, but now the rest of the system is out of phase or other driver to driver interactions are now messed up.

I would suggest someone only use that if they really know what they are doing. You have just as good of a chance of messing something up as actually fixing something.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 07-16-2023 at 03:56 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Then you haven’t used the recent versions of the Mosconi software. PHaC is now based on actual acoustical measurements, not phase of electrical domain.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    Then you haven’t used the recent versions of the Mosconi software. PHaC is now based on actual acoustical measurements, not phase of electrical domain.
    I edited my post to correct for the newest version. It does not measure phase directly and is only paying attention to certain driver interactions to change phase. I stand by my use only if you know what you're doing.

Only paying attention to phase via that method is a very dangerous slope and could easily fix one driver to driver interaction and mess up others. If one is doing phase this way, because it is the best tool they have, then they need to pay attention to any and all drivers that interact with each other when manipulating phase. Just doing it for one here, then one here will not work well for most and you're lucky if you are the good case.

Like all things, mosconi has some cool tools in the tool box, but the person using those tools should still have a great understanding of how to use that tool. You should choose the right tool for the right job based on your own knowledge. Otherwise bad things can happen if you are using a tool that you don't understand what it is actually for and doing. (This goes for all dsps)
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

PHaC works surprisingly good if you follow the Mosconi workflow of setting initial T/A with the help of a binaural mic, set crossovers and driver specific filters afterwards and then do the phase correction.
    I verified this in some of the cars i did.
    If you do some other workflow, like doing T/A after doing crossovers and driver specific filters then chances are good that it doesn't correctly work, that's true, but that's also not the intended workflow with the Mosconi software.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)