Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best digital EQ now?

1. Back To Top    #1

what is the best digital EQ now?

I am wanting to put together the SQ stereo I had always dreamed of now that I am leaning on 50 and can afford it. I have been collecting gear including an old 3 way (9-5-1) Phoenix Gold/morel components that I want to run active and I am wondering what is the best eq to run these, some rear fill and then of course some 12s(morel 12" Ultimo Ti's). What have you used and what did you like or dislike about it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: what is the best digital EQ now?

First off, I'm no expert. I have minimal experience with processors, but here's my take. All processors have pros and cons. I use a PPI DSP-88R. It has basic xovers, decent eq, optical input and time alignment. It does not have any auto tune features. It also has a clunky interface. I have it because it did what I needed for a price I could manage.

My advice is figure out what you need (want), and your budget. Once you find your options, test drive the software. Most have demo versions. When you get it to 2 or 3 options, post up. Folks will be able to give you better advice with specific units.

FWIW I've heard great cars with many different processors.

good luck with your search

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Helix, jl, minidsp are usually the go to. Then arc, Dayton, alpine, etc are probably the next.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

You're still running that dinosaur...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Helix, jl, minidsp are usually the go to. Then arc, Dayton, alpine, etc are probably the next.
    I am sure those are all great EQ's but on the digital EQ's it seems like there is always something that ends up almost making it a deal breaker that you only find out once you have it and are trying to figure it out. I am just trying to avoid that to see if anyone has experience with these brands to say yes/no to any of them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    I am sure those are all great EQ's but on the digital EQ's it seems like there is always something that ends up almost making it a deal breaker that you only find out once you have it and are trying to figure it out. I am just trying to avoid that to see if anyone has experience with these brands to say yes/no to any of them.

I personally have helix, dayton, minidsp, adau eval boards, and have quite a bit of experience with JL.

JL - all pass filters limiting and 10 bands of eq for each channel - requries optical loopback for global eq great support with tun and autoset

Dayton - no all pass filters and 10 bands of eq for each channel also no input eq - requires rca loopback for any more of anything

minidsp - 10 bands of eq on output and 10 bands on input (can loop back for more if you want)

helix - most robust end user eq side currently

adau eval boards - the world of dsp is your oyster. - can be finicky and lower input/output voltages allowed. Also eval board so just basically a raw circuit board, but the 1467 eval is cool to play with!
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I personally have helix, dayton, minidsp, adau eval boards, and have quite a bit of experience with JL.

JL - all pass filters limiting and 10 bands of eq for each channel - requries optical loopback for global eq great support with tun and autoset

Dayton - no all pass filters and 10 bands of eq for each channel also no input eq - requires rca loopback for any more of anything

minidsp - 10 bands of eq on output and 10 bands on input (can loop back for more if you want)

helix - most robust end user eq side currently

adau eval boards - the world of dsp is your oyster. - can be finicky and lower input/output voltages allowed. Also eval board so just basically a raw circuit board, but the 1467 eval is cool to play with!
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

I throw in Mosconi into the mix.
    Up to 12 channels of output depending on model, sophisticated input EQ including allpass, Notch and shelving filters, input time delay compensation, up to 4 global EQs, up to 10 band of filters for each channel, integrated measurement system including automatic time alignment, Auto-EQ for single drivers and global EQ, automatic phase correction after setting time alignment, crossovers and output filters.
    Mixer where you can add, substract, mix signals from different sources, triggers for different sources. Triggers can use EQs, delay and output gains from other presets.
    Ability to incorporate a CAN bus module for cars like when you want to use a digital source like a phone or digital audio player and still keeping stock volume, balance, fader and other controls if they are actually controlled via CAN bus....

Yes, at least in the US it comes with a price, but feature and soundwise it's easily on the same level as Helix.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    I throw in Mosconi into the mix.
    Up to 12 channels of output depending on model, sophisticated input EQ including allpass, Notch and shelving filters, input time delay compensation, up to 4 global EQs, up to 10 band of filters for each channel, integrated measurement system including automatic time alignment, Auto-EQ for single drivers and global EQ, automatic phase correction after setting time alignment, crossovers and output filters.
    Mixer where you can add, substract, mix signals from different sources, triggers for different sources. Triggers can use EQs, delay and output gains from other presets.
    Ability to incorporate a CAN bus module for cars like when you want to use a digital source like a phone or digital audio player and still keeping stock volume, balance, fader and other controls if they are actually controlled via CAN bus....

Yes, at least in the US it comes with a price, but feature and soundwise it's easily on the same level as Helix.
    How about the user interface? Is it fairly easy to pick up and make sense the way it is set up? Thanks for your time I had wondered about them.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    How about the user interface? Is it fairly easy to pick up and make sense the way it is set up? Thanks for your time I had wondered about them.
    Try it out yourself. You can use a demo mode for every supported Mosconi DSP product in the new GUI.
    Some say it's bad, some love it (i do), so best would be to try for yourself and see if you can live with the workflow that Frank Miketta has in his mind when creating the GUI.
    If in doubt ask me questions, i'll answer them as good as i can.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)