Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time alignment

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

Time alignment

Is there a cheaper alternative to a quality DSP (the dm-810 is $750 :/) to adjust time alignment? (I cannot change head unit)
    I know a DSP does MANY things but I have the audio control LC6-1200 which takes care of making sure the correct frequencies are going to the correct speakers. So wouldn't that combine with the ability to adjust the alignment take care of the main advantages a DSP provides?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Time alignment

MiniDSP has the C-DSP 8x12 unit for around $650 if you add the optional OLED remote display.

For about the same price, Crutchfield has an open box DM-810 right now - AudioControl DM-810 - Open Box

Below that, the JL TWK D8/88 is an excellent processor. Very user friendly.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

Thank you very much for taking the time to look into that for me!

$650 is still too much for me. Is there such a thing as a DSP that doesn't have a pricetag that big that will allow for a solid install?
    I cant justify spending that kind of money on something I'm not even sure how much of a difference it will make.
    When I type in best DSP to a search engine the Rockford DSR1 is mentioned in most articles. Given I can get one for $250 on Amazon right now, I'm definitely willing to pull the trigger on that. (Normally $350)
    $400 is a large delta in my mind, but I'd rather put no DSP in my car than a POS.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I've used the DSR1 before. It was really cool when it worked. A major disappointment when it didn't. And I'm not sure if it was the DSP, or my phone that caused the issues. Seemed to lose all the tuning just randomly when I would connect my phone to it. And I never could get the subwoofer levels to work right. Had an older Samsung S7 at the time though. Upgraded to an iPhone XS Max, but traded the DSP before I could try it out. Was really nice having the Bluetooth tuning though.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

I have a OnePlus 8T, which is a pretty awesome cell in my opinion. It definitely blows the pants off the S7
    Every year I check for a better cell and every year I cannot find anything close to worth upgrading to. Even a free OnePlus 10 isn't worth the hassle of having to set-up.
    I'm not a gamer or photographer and am a "if it isn't broke don't fix it" kind of guy when it comes to most electronics.
    But I do understand what you mean about not knowing where the problem is coming from. I think I found someone with the professional grade equipment to tune with, so that probably negates the cell issue all together.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

I'm not sure what makes a good, average, bad, and useless DSP. But I've heard that unit mentioned as good in some of my research, but not knowing much, the really low price makes me suspicious.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

A DSP is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of things

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    A DSP is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of things
    That's what I'm trying to articulate, I'll give an example.

When someone asks me if they should get a Camaro SS, or ZL1 (or any cars), I can tell them they get what they pay for.
    But much like my mom doesn't know what a supercharger is, a elsd, mag ride, or what goes into defining if one is better (she wouldn't even use most of them) or if she will even be able to tell if is there, I don't know what goes into defining what makes one DSP better than the other or if a parameter even matters to me.

It probably isn't the best parallel, but it's all I can come up with.

The only things I know to compare are how many channels you can manipulate and how easy they are to manipulate. It seems like all DSPs have gotten firmware updates that make them near the same user friendly when tuning.
    Does that mean all I need to look at is which one allows for finer tunning?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

How many channels of processing does your current setup require?

Are you looking to add more later?