Thread: Amp Levels

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Amp Levels

When you're setting up a multi amp system, if you set all of your amplifiers individually for maximum unclipped output, which amplifier levels are you lowering when you blend it all together and by how much?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Amp Levels

I typically don't change gain level after setting it, but adjust levels in the processor. Maybe I should do it the other way?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I typically don't change gain level after setting it, but adjust levels in the processor. Maybe I should do it the other way?
    No, you're doing it right, but what levels are you lowering in the processor and by how much?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

So far, it's been mostly mids by around 5-6db, IIRC

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I typically set everything up at least once, and then lower the levels by putting them back in their boxes
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I like to set gains by ear. Play zero noise track. Turn up gains until you hear noise. Then lower all gains to the speaker with the lowest output. Then lower gains again to hit your house curve. No fancy equiptment. Just your ears and a cheap mic and RTA. Works like a charm every time. I stole this from JDUNK who may or may not have borrowed the idea from Nick Apicella or the other way around. By the way I'm glad I got the chance to meet you Chit.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

You as well! I'm totally making sure to demo the Subie next time! It is gorgeously done, and had some very high reviews from those that had the pleasure.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

For sure. My goal is always to try and squeeze everyone in, but you know how that goes.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    I like to set gains by ear. Play zero noise track. Turn up gains until you hear noise. Then lower all gains to the speaker with the lowest output. Then lower gains again to hit your house curve. No fancy equiptment. Just your ears and a cheap mic and RTA. Works like a charm every time. I stole this from JDUNK who may or may not have borrowed the idea from Nick Apicella or the other way around. By the way I'm glad I got the chance to meet you Chit.
    Yup. I find amps make more noise than dsp, so the lower the levels on the amps, usually the lower the noise. If that is not the case for you and your amps have less noise than your dsp, turn down dsp and turn up amps! Whatever lowers the noise the most but still allows you to hit your target curve.

I stole it and combined it from Nick Apicella, Andy Wehmeyer, and Justin Zazzi.

My goal is/was to maximize volume, but minimize noise.
    IIRC my tweeter and mids gains are near zero, but could be near halfway if I just went with a 0db test tone clipping (or higher with -5 or -10db test tones). I don't need them that loud and it just introduced noise and then I had to turn the dsp levels down like -10db to match my subs and door woofers levels when maximized amp gain vs noise. By turning the amp gains down, I lowered my noise floor, and then dsp levels are near 0 to -4db. I have even taken my mids in some tunes and increased the dsp level to +4db.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods