Thread: I'm stubborn. Dead set on mounting my DSP under seat.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I'm stubborn. Dead set on mounting my DSP under seat.

I'm starting this thread as a quick call for help with mounting my DSP inside the car under seat. I'll add photos very soon for reference . Long story short; I'm wanting to mount my DSP close to my center console because I plan to run a tablet as my main source of music with my factory USB location there for backup. I'm doing this for hopes in improving the quality of music that I am using and listening to as well as allow me to have access to a much larger library due to the constraints of what my factory radio can hold/read.

In the event that my idea for using the tablet doesn't work the way I want, it's fine....I'm still more comfortable with the DSP being in the car so if someone hears something wrong and can help me with a tune it's a much easier connection.

Thank you in advance for all who will choose to read this and give me some tips and tools of the trade.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: I'm stubborn. Dead set on mounting my DSP under seat.

So you need a way to mount this safely, without getting tangled up in the seat wiring, or scratched up from the seat moving, and overheating from being stuck near carpet on bottom and foam right above.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    So you need a way to mount this safely, without getting tangled up in the seat wiring, or scratched up from the seat moving, and overheating from being stuck near carpet on bottom and foam right above.
    That's exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. Even with the seat being all the way down to the floor to compensate for my height I still have a good amount of distance from bottom of the seat to the proposed top of the DSP but I'm more worried about how exactly to mount a base to the floor of the car.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Can you get under the carpet? In the past, I've cut a piece of plywood, mounted VHB tape to the bottom, slid it under the carpet and mashed it down to the floor metal. This gives you a wooden base to screw the DSP to thru the carpet

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Hey Kris, I'll second what Al said. Use construction adhesive if you plan on leaving that wood base there forever. If this may not be a permanent location then just use peal and stick pro grade velcro to the carpet. Trust me that thing won't move with the velcro. In fact, good luck getting it back off the velcro easily.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

OOOhhhhh I might go with the velcro. Once I attach some pics that may give more of an idea of what i'm looking at. Excellent idea! I can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    Hey Kris, I'll second what Al said. Use construction adhesive if you plan on leaving that wood base there forever. If this may not be a permanent location then just use peal and stick pro grade velcro to the carpet. Trust me that thing won't move with the velcro. In fact, good luck getting it back off the velcro easily.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Velcro you can definitely find at Lowes / Home Depot, some also usually at Target but may not be as heavy duty.

I'd also still consider using something like this - https://us.rs-online.com/product/key...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

and the factory mounting bolts for your OEM amp to hold those in place, then attach the plywood base to those. But, the velcro idea, especially if you can get the plywood under the carpet is likely a faster and given the weight of the DSP, easier solution.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

This is about the best velcro

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/pr...atible-velcro/

If not this, then 3m dual lock is also good.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00001.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	383.2 KB 
ID:	18501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT000.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	18498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	18499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT0.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	431.1 KB 
ID:	18500So here is basically what I'm looking at in terms of space under the seat (the factory amplifier is under that plastic cover to the left, it has to stay). I also added a silly idea of just mounting it to the transmission tunnel hump.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

You can use a piece of ABS plastic. Think of it in an L shape with a square portion the size of the DSP and a thin “tab” of sorts that goes over to the seat bolt and then you can use a heat gun to mold the plastic to the shape of the floor. I know I’m not explaining it well but to get an idea check out 5-Star Car Stereo on YouTube. They use this technique all the time to mount crossovers & amps under seats. I think they might use a different material but the process is the same.

Similar to this but rotate 90 degrees & have the tab under your seat track/bolt
    Name:  IMG_8084.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  15.0 KB

The Velcro will also hold that bugger pretty well too though