Thread: Helix TuneEQ

1. Back To Top    #1

Helix TuneEQ

Anyone using tuneEQ on helix recognize that it use very high Q? Even use 1/3 resolution, it sometime use even Q15.

Anyone know how to set it up thus it use lower than 6 Q to do auto tune?

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helix TuneEQ

Manually adjust after TuneEQ is done? Besides the very limited options in the RTA settings, there isn't anything you can do to change how TuneEQ does its job, but once it does you could always go through and see if there are any filters you can combine/elminate to simplify the amount of bands used. Alternately, adjust the amount of bands used per speaker, ie for LH/RH i use bands 9-22, LM/RM i use 3-13, rear fill about the same, sub 3-9. This way TuneEQ uses less unnessesary filters, making the most out of the bands you choose. This way also leaves 3-4 bands you can use as per-side or global, after the FR per speaker looks good.
    Or skip TuneEQ and import/export using REW's auto EQ. REW gives you total control over Q, amount of bands, boost, whatever you want

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for chime in with advices.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

This is one of the main reasons I do manual eq and limit myself to q's of no greater than 5. I wish REW, etc. would allow a q limit on their auto eq functions. I started doing this after reading Floyd Toole's book on acoustics AND then trying the harman how to listen software and seeing where my limits were. Level 10 on q bandwith was my limit, so 10 similar cuts/boost across the frequency range. This was very hard to tell at these relatively wide q's and a 6db cut/boost. If I went higher in levels (narrower q's) or lower levels +3db cut/boost. It got even harder.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods