Thread: Recommend the loudest 3" subwoofer :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend the loudest 3" subwoofer :)

Hi Guys!

Been awhile. Anyways, I'm looking to replace a 3" driver for a highly specialized application. Right now, that app is 4th order bandpass, but simple ported is great too. But the bigger challenge is 3" is the maximum diameter that fits the geometry.

So the goal is, in order:

3" diameter
    Most LFE possible (for a 3" driver!)
    sensitivity

The rest, I'm not so worried about.

Right now, I am using (what else?) a tangband for the application

Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer

But am wondering now if it's time for a driver change. I need a small (literally! ) project. You guys ever look at mini "subwoofers"?

https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-B...xoCJZ4QAvD_BwE

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Recommend the loudest 3" subwoofer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    You guys ever look at mini "subwoofers"?
    Err'y day for the past couple weeks.

If you have the airspace, that Tang Band is hard to beat. See Hexibase's build with it on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4tu4rAtgI

If have the budget, try finding the woofer from these speakers:
    https://www.wired.com/2008/12/hk-gla55-speakers/
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Recommend the loudest 3" subwoofer :)

Not sure if you're still working on this, but here's another idea:

Use two sealed woofers firing at each other, into a very small common chamber. Because they fire at eachother physically, the vibrations cancel out (unless you desire a tactile feel which can also be fun). Because they are sharing a small common chamber, you get a tiny bit of mutual coupling which means a little bit of extra output.

A woofer with a low Fs and a high Xmax would be good at this. The Dayton Audio ND series is one place to start looking, for example. You will likely need a lot of bass boost at and below resonance if you want low frequency extension. If you have it, a protection mechanism like a limiter/compressor would be ideal ... then you can go crazy with the bass boosting without blowing stuff up.

Name:  bgfbfg.png
Views: 226
Size:  24.5 KB
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.