Thread: Deadening a door panel with limited access; opinions needed

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Deadening a door panel with limited access; opinions needed

Hey,

I'm researching what needs to be done to upgrade the sound system in my 2013 Porsche Panamera.

One issue at hand is that I won't be able to do much as far as mass-loading and sound-proofing to the inner door cavity due to the way they're designed, so any material I use will be limited to the front door trim panels and the face of the door itself.

Here's a screen grab from one of the videos I watched in my research showing what the door looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paamera_Door.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	18325

The speaker upgrade will be either an 8" or a 6.5" mid-bass depending on the available depth (the stock size is 8").

My daily driver has 8"s in kick panels, so door rattles aren't an issue I've had to deal with in ages. My first instinct is to concentrate on the trim panel: mass loading and sound absorption/blocking material to fill the trim panel cavities, similar to this video from Batdog Garage.

For the door itself, I'm thinking just add a layer of MLV to cut resonance, and then a layer of an open cell/vinyl composite to cut some road noise infiltration (SecondSkin products or similar).

Any opinions, or hard lessons learned?
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deadening a door panel with limited access; opinions needed

secondskin is what I like to use.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    admittedlyanasshole
    Vehicle
    2020 F150

Are those rivets or screws? If I'm seeing your pic correctly it looks like the interior face door panel is secured onto the door as a 2 piece assembly. If its rivets you can drill those out and use new rivets, screws or something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6T5KFV...v_ov_lig_dp_it and you will always be able to seperate the two in the future if you need. If you use rivetnuts, put a little blue loctite on your screws so they don't come loose or use a small split washer to keep them from rattling loose. Good luck.
    2020 F150 screw all factory but I'm too cheap to mod Kicker key 200.4 amp/factory speakers/home made HDPE door block off plates.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Hey!

Those are screws, BUT... that entire inner door skin is part of an assembly that also includes the door window & frame (it all comes off as one piece), which is why I'm not going to futz around with deadening the inside of the door cavity as such as I'd like. The stock speakers do use rivets, so I was planning on using rivnuts for that part of the install. Thanks for the Loctite tip!
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs