Thread: 2013 Porsche Panamera Bose system excorcism

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

2013 Porsche Panamera Bose system excorcism

I’ve come into possession of a 2103 Porsche Panamera.

Anyone have any experience installing in one of these?

I can’t find a full service manual anywhere; I was hoping to use it as a guide on how to safely remove the interior trim panels (that’s what I did with my Jetta using a Bentley manual DVD). I’ve looked at some shaky-cam Youtube vids for the removing front door panels, but I’d like something more comprehensive. I did see that Crutchfield has a guide for this car; at $9, I might buy it to see if it has the info I need.

Anyway, I’m planning on leaving the stock HU/CD/NAV Changer combo in place – unless there's a reason I can't – for example, is it pure line out signal from the HU, or is it tweaked by Bose? etc.

I haven’t paid any attention to stock stereo -> aftermarket gear integration over the years, so I have no idea what the latest method is. But u
    ltimately, I want to replace the Bose 5.1 system with aftermarket gear:

- L/R midbass, midrange, tweeter (no rear fill)
    - Center channel (Maybe? See below*)
    - Sub(s) depending on how useable I want to keep the “trunk”
    - Amp(s)
    - DSP

* As for a center channel, I’ve never used a center channel before outside of home theater. Currently, the stock Bose system does image fairly well, but you can really tell where the sound from the center is originating (labelled #1 in the illustration):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bose_Porsche_Panamera.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	18276

There’s no illusion of the sound stage being near the windshield wipers; it’s firmly planted on the front edge of the dash.

So is this an unavoidable part of using a center channel (depending on where it happens to be located), or is this due to the stock system being Bose-EQ’d to be OK-ish from both seats?

Beyond that question: Any speaker brands you folks have used that you like? My current system uses Hybrid Audio Technologies for the front stage and I love 'em, but they seem to have limited their selection of drivers, so I might look elsewhere.

Same goes for DSP; I was thinking Helix, but am open to other suggestions.

Edited to add: I just spent some time googling OEM integration gear, and it seems like JL Audios' FIX is a possibility; don't see much else (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing).
    Last edited by DubScientist; 01-30-2023 at 02:54 PM.
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: 2013 Porsche Panamera Bose system excorcism

Quote Originally Posted by DubScientist View Post
    I’ve come into possession of a 2103 Porsche Panamera.

Anyone have any experience installing in one of these?

I can’t find a full service manual anywhere; I was hoping to use it as a guide on how to safely remove the interior trim panels (that’s what I did with my Jetta using a Bentley manual DVD). I’ve looked at some shaky-cam Youtube vids for the removing front door panels, but I’d like something more comprehensive. I did see that Crutchfield has a guide for this car; at $9, I might buy it to see if it has the info I need.

Anyway, I’m planning on leaving the stock HU/CD/NAV Changer combo in place – unless there's a reason I can't – for example, is it pure line out signal from the HU, or is it tweaked by Bose? etc.

I haven’t paid any attention to stock stereo -> aftermarket gear integration over the years, so I have no idea what the latest method is. But u
    ltimately, I want to replace the Bose 5.1 system with aftermarket gear:

- L/R midbass, midrange, tweeter (no rear fill)
    - Center channel (Maybe? See below*)
    - Sub(s) depending on how useable I want to keep the “trunk”
    - Amp(s)
    - DSP

* As for a center channel, I’ve never used a center channel before outside of home theater. Currently, the stock Bose system does image fairly well, but you can really tell where the sound from the center is originating (labelled #1 in the illustration):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bose_Porsche_Panamera.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	18276

There’s no illusion of the sound stage being near the windshield wipers; it’s firmly planted on the front edge of the dash.

So is this an unavoidable part of using a center channel (depending on where it happens to be located), or is this due to the stock system being Bose-EQ’d to be OK-ish from both seats?

Beyond that question: Any speaker brands you folks have used that you like? My current system uses Hybrid Audio Technologies for the front stage and I love 'em, but they seem to have limited their selection of drivers, so I might look elsewhere.

Same goes for DSP; I was thinking Helix, but am open to other suggestions.

Edited to add: I just spent some time googling OEM integration gear, and it seems like JL Audios' FIX is a possibility; don't see much else (unless I'm looking for the wrong thing).
    I'd forgo the use of the center channel unless you plan on making it bigger and doing a 2 seat tune. As for DSP selection, if you are tuning it I'd use the one you are comfortable using. If someone else is tuning it, let them pick the DSP they are comfortable using.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Yeah, I've been doing some google deep-diving on this since I posted, and I probably will nix the center channel.

I'll be doing my own DSP tuning; my current system has the DSP built into the HU, so an outboard unit with software will be a step up in functionality. I'll do some research and look at the software GUIs.

While researching I've also come to realize what a PITA it is to deal with more recent OEM infotainment systems as far as integrating aftermarket gear. They really don't want you messing with the stock HU; so much of the vehicle functions are now tied into them.

To deal with that, I've found a product out of Australia called m0bridge which connects the OEM infotainment system with aftermarket gear with the option of using TOSLINK. It also has a DSP, but I'm not sure how it would compete against a Helix, etc.

I'm mainly interested in making sure that the audio signal coming from the stock HU is able to completely bypass any OEM EQ shenanigans without compromising vehicle function; keeping the signal chain digital would be nice, as well!
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

You may also need to disable the Bose AudioPilot system, whether that be something the mObridge does or by simply unplugging the mic in the headliner.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Thanks for the tip! They really get their tentacles in there, huh?