Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercedes Benz C 63 AMG sail panels for Focal Utopia M tweeter by LBaudio

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: Mercedes Benz C 63 AMG sail panels for Focal Utopia M tweeter by LBaudio

Fantastic. I've looked at this 12 times and still can't believe what i'm seeing. Inspirational to say the least. I may have to try this technique in the future. The real trick is joining the two parts together. Did you shape he outer shell and simply trace around it onto the original factory sail and then cut along the trace line?

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    Fantastic. I've looked at this 12 times and still can't believe what i'm seeing. Inspirational to say the least. I may have to try this technique in the future. The real trick is joining the two parts together. Did you shape he outer shell and simply trace around it onto the original factory sail and then cut along the trace line?
    First thing i did was to smooth original sail panel. Then i did mold of original sail panel. I made three pilot holes trough both pieces that ensured that piece of mold/ insert base stay always in same spot. Then i trimmed that mold to desired shape and that part was a base from where i set tweeter cups and built basic shape of the insert. So this piece is removable from original sail panel from the beginning. Then i traced inserts perimeter with dense cardboard of appropriate thickness to account for vinyl thickness. I put insert in place and aded filler from both sides, on outer side i just blended shape to outer sail perimeter. Then i removed cardboard and got that gap between the two pieces. Then i sanded down sail panel with attached insert to get smooth transition between the pieces.
    Insert piece remained removable. Pieces were glued together with hot glue at the end, so they can be separated if needed in hot watter - at approx 65-70 degrees without demaging any finish.
    hope that clears things for you.
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Thank you for the explaination. I am going to toy with this in the future. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and patience. Practice and screwup over and over again. Thanks for sharing.