Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Tuning Help

I have only tuned 1 other time a few years ago and it has taken me a week to get to a point where I feel like I can kinda tune something.

I have the following response curve with target curve. I intentionally tuned bass with only 1 channel enabled so I could get a stronger signal iiin the end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	response.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	17821

Most music still feels like it is missing bass and I have to admit, I have no clue what I am doing. Could it be the sub enclosure is just garbage, not sure what to expect.

System details if it matters: Alpine SWS12D2 (Punch 60), Focal TA-246 Tweeters, NVX XSP65 (SB Aoustics SB17MFC35-4) powered by Alpine PDX-F4 Mosconi 6to8 v1.

If it helps to see any of my progress here are my response files.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Tuning Help

That sub response looks ok to me overall, but you could be having phase issues between the subs and midwoofers. Hard to tell from those graphs. Could you show us an individual of each driver on the same graph?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your measurement data file. Below is the best I can understand what Jacob is asking for. Left tweeter, mid, and sub all with eq ... plus an overall measurement of left.

It seems like your mid level was decreased some when you made the overall left measurement.

You might feel like there is more bass if you make the transition smoother from 60Hz to 300Hz (ish) like I drew with the green line (super non specific please don't aim for that exact shape).

Looks like you have some cancellation in the midbass region around 140Hz between the subwoofer and the mid. The cancellation is not huge, but it should ideally sum together better in that area. You might be able to improve this with a combination of time delay and polarity changes on the mid and/or subwoofer.

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	17827
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Looking at the measurements in the file, definitely some phase issues (get dips when different speakers are played together) that weren't there in individual measurements.
    Look at the crosshair part. That is a dip from about 160hz to about 300hz. That is a pretty crucial zone to have a dip.
    You can look at this chart and see how many instruments have their fundamental frequency in the specific range: https://alexiy.nl/eq_chart/

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 19.03.41.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	17828
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

That dip at 160Hz on the left side measurement is typical for a door mounted midbass driver on the drivers side. There is absolutely nothing you can do about that.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Right, but the dip in blue/green (when both left and right are playing together) is not there in the individual sides are played, so there is something you can do about that.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 09-08-2022 at 12:16 PM.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Right, but the dip in blue/green (when both left and right are playing together) is not there in the individual sides are played, so there is something you can do about that.
    I would always listen first and check if it's an audible problem. Sure you could try an allpass filter to fix this, but in my experience allpass filters almost always destroyed the staging for me. Therefor listen first and if it isn't an audible problem leave it as is.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

8. Back To Top    #8

Why does it look like the midbass are playing to 40hz? Is that pre tuning? I don’t have my laptop here so I can’t look, I’m basing this on Justin’s picture and the cancellation at the sub/midbass that’s cirocked and the huge response peak below it

9. Back To Top    #9

Let me make sure I understand how to track down the dip in 160-300hz.

Flip phase on 1 miidbass and remeasure response of system
    flip phase on subwoofer only and measure system
    Flip phase on 1 midbass and subwoofer and measure system
    Analyze and see if any combination helps

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Why does it look like the midbass are playing to 40hz? Is that pre tuning? I don’t have my laptop here so I can’t look, I’m basing this on Justin’s picture and the cancellation at the sub/midbass that’s cirocked and the huge response peak below it
    Not sure, I assume it was some kind of resonation in the car. I will def confirm i though.