Thread: Tweeter protection how to

1. Back To Top    #1

Tweeter protection how to

I have installed a system in my daughters car with a bunch of old equipment and I have noticed popping in the system if you kill it (its a manual) and restart it.

I decided to try and put some capacitors on the tweeters to protect and/or stop the popping but it didn't seem to work.

So my question is, Can I use polarized electrolytic capacitors to protect tweeters? I see lots of examples of using non-polarized electrolytic capacitors but nothing about polarized.

I took two 100uF capacitors and wired them like this in line to the positive lead to the tweeter:

+||- -||+ ------------ |+| Tweeter
    -----------------------|-|

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Tweeter protection how to

No because the signal is ac and alternates its flow direction. So you'd lose your signal.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Pops are also likely to be high frequency noise which a capacitor will allow to pass.

I think you'll have to find the pop at the source, or you can make a tank circuit to keep the radio on a little bit longer instead of turning off right away.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pops happen at turn on, not always but seems to be consistent if you stall it and restart it pops.

Could the pops be related to something I wired wrong or is it more likely to be a faulty piece of equipment ini the system? Not sure where/how to track it down.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

The stalling part might be important. If you stall but the ignition is still in the run position, then the stereo electronics are probabbly still on. If you restart the engine then, you might be turning off one of the stereo components while others remain on. If so, that's a good recipie for pops.

Maybe try stalling, then turn key to off and wait a moment for all your stereo stuff to turn off, then start the car as if you didn't just stall it?

To help you troubleshoot it, you can disconnect the remote turn-on wire to your stereo components one at a time see when the pops get better or worse. That can help guide you towards which thing is misbehaving, and you can focus more on that.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.