Thread: Morel Ultimo 12 excursion

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2021 Camaro 2SS

Morel Ultimo 12 excursion

I have an older Morel Ultimo 12 (from 2011 or so) and considering using it. When I model it in WinISD, in the recommended sealed enclosure of 1.059ft3, on rated RMS of 1000W, excursion seems to exceed XMAX (12.5mm) at 56Hz. To keep it in limits I had to reduce input power to 400W.
    Does anyone have experience with this sub and can tell me if that makes sense? Every article I've read on it says it "needs" the 1Kw power...
    I've attached the manual.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Re: Morel Ultimo 12 excursion

Quote Originally Posted by swrocket View Post
    I have an older Morel Ultimo 12 (from 2011 or so) and considering using it. When I model it in WinISD, in the recommended sealed enclosure of 1.059ft3, on rated RMS of 1000W, excursion seems to exceed XMAX (12.5mm) at 56Hz. To keep it in limits I had to reduce input power to 400W. Does anyone have experience with this sub and can tell me if that makes sense?
    I don't believe that Morel would recommend an enclosure that would damage their product. That and, when listening to music, a 1000 watt amplifier is only producing full power a very small percentage of the time.

Every article I've read on it says it "needs" the 1Kw power...
    I've attached the manual.
    Speakers don't "need" a given amount of power, listeners do. If 500 watts will play the subwoofer at a volume that's louder than you are willing to listen to it at, then you don't need 1000 watts. On the other hand, if the single subwoofer and 1000 watts doesn't play loud enough, you need multiple subwoofers and possibly more power.
    Last edited by Euphonic; 08-29-2022 at 07:42 AM.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Morel Ultimo 12 excursion

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    I don't believe that Morel would recommend an enclosure that would damage their product. That and, when listening to music, a 1000 watt amplifier is only producing full power a very small percentage of the time.

Speakers don't "need" a given amount of power, listeners do. If 500 watts will play the subwoofer at a volume that's louder than you are willing to listen to it at, then you don't need 1000 watts. On the other hand, if the single subwoofer and 1000 watts doesn't play loud enough, you need multiple subwoofers and possibly more power.

Well said!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.