Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: 2022 Toyota Prius. Doitor's g

That's cool. I built a similar apparatus using PVC and a bungee cord

2. Back To Top    #42

Took the MIN for its first test run.
    Did a bunch of experiments to put the theory into practice after reading the Smaart manual, watching all the YouTube videos and taking the Basic Operator exam.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smaart Cert.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	18538
    This is the setup I came up with.
    The laptop is runing both Smaart and the MiniDsp pluging, but I sent Smaart via HDMI to a 55" tv and keept the MiniDsp plugin on the main screen.
    Hooked a USB mic to the Mac just for fun.

Name:	MIN TEST 1.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	18539
    This shows the 3 mic RTA (green is the left one, blue is the center one and pink is the right one).
    The orange one averages all 3.

Name:	MIN TEST 1B.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	18540
    Did a lot of measurements of the tune I made with the MAX and of the system with and without Dirac both in the Spectrum and Trasfer Modes, but Ill post those after I organize them.
    Im waiting on the 8 channel soundcard and more mics to play, so hold on to yours seats, its about to get bumpy.

J.
    Toyota Prius - Italia Hi-Fi Magnifica LE Speakers - Italia Hi-Fi BL5 12" Sub - Italia Hi-Fi Amps - Canare RCA's and speaker wire - Helix DSP Pro Mk3

3. Back To Top    #43

This thread is phenomenal dude, congrats on your progress, I want to follow a similar path in the car audio world Killin it dude

4. Back To Top    #44

Sold the 4 channel usb interfase and upgraded to the 8 channel one with some extra mics.
    Besides more inputs I also get SPIF in/out.

Name:	MIN 5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	18541
    J.
    Toyota Prius - Italia Hi-Fi Magnifica LE Speakers - Italia Hi-Fi BL5 12" Sub - Italia Hi-Fi Amps - Canare RCA's and speaker wire - Helix DSP Pro Mk3

5. Back To Top    #45
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

This should be interesting

6. Back To Top    #46

Version #78468 of the mic holder.
    This one happened after reading an article (need to stop doing that. LOL).
    The article mentions that to get the best measurement for 1/3 octave resolution, you can place 6 mics, 15 cm appart each at a 30 degree angle.
    The 7th mic (in the center) is going to be used for impulse response only and turned off for the rest.
    Waiting on two more XLR mics to play with it.
    Right now I have 5 XLR and 2 USB.
    Will also compare this setup to the other versions.
    Hope the madness stops soon. LOL.

Name:	MIN Mic Holder Gedes 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	18542
    J.

7. Back To Top    #47

About to get into the FIR filter rabbit hole.
    Hold my beer.

Name:	OpenDRC1.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	18632

Name:	OpenDRC2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	18633

Name:	OpenDRC4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	18634
    J.

8. Back To Top    #48

What a weekend.
    Marks class is a must to anyone interested in Car Audio SQ.
    Its not a regular school class with powerpoint presentations. Its more of a free flowing talk filled with experiments that show you the concepts in action. By example, he has a simulated car (dash, windshield, etc) in which you have a 3 way front stage that you can move and has a Tun/MAX system going, so you can see in real time the effects of speaker aiming and what it does to the frequency response, then they tune it in real time and you get to listen after.
    Also had a chance to take a listen to his NASCAR with my tracks, which was a pretty eye opening experience.
    He has four reference systems that you can play with in between classes that you can play with and change between them with a remote control.
    One of the highlights was watching Jeffrey Hald (MTI, probably the most experienced MAX user in the world) and Matt Mergenthal (JL Audio) tune a bunch of cars in real time while explaining what they where doing and why.
    All in all it was a awesome experience.

Name:	Seminar 6.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	18681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seminar 4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	18680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seminar 3.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	18679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seminar 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	18678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seminar 7.jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	18683
    Last edited by doitor; 09-12-2023 at 01:01 PM.

9. Back To Top    #49

Quote Originally Posted by doitor View Post
    About to get into the FIR filter rabbit hole.
    i grabbed a ddrc-22d a couple years ago to put between the radio (toslink spdif) and dsp (toslink spdif). there was no aha moment with dirac-live. i liked some of the tonality changes the dsp added to my tune, so i made those changes in my main dsp instead.

i didn't do any of the manual fir filters though.

i cracked open the ddrc-22d and saw the board takes 5-24vdc, so i had no problem finding a barrel connector for 12v to power the thing. i just laid it in my back seat

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	18682

it's now in the hands of another local junkie for one of their projects.

10. Back To Top    #50

I like Dirac. It gives you in 20 minutes what it would take an expert tuner a lot more time and effort and results a regular or newbie tuner would never get.
    Theres still room for improvement after Dirac.
    As far as manual FIR, I havent installed the DRC yet, but from what I heard it should be pretty badass.
    Im going to to some changes to the install first and then play with the tune.
    Will post my findings as always.

J.