Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSP

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

DSP

For the average car guy that loves audio is a dsp really worth it?
    Isn't it more for people going to competitions or trying to show off?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: DSP

A DSP is not just for competition or showing off. And it is MOST DEFINITELY worth it, especially if you love audio. A well tuned system can make listening to any type of music dramatically more enjoyable. I would highly suggest getting a demo from someone that has even a basic DSP tune. Depending on where you’re located I will volunteer my car (I’m in central PA).

Imagine putting your favorite song, album, artist, etc. on and hearing the individual instruments placed on your dashboard and the lead singer right there, front & center like it’s a personal concert JUST for you. The guitar on one side, the bass on the other, the singer in the center and the drummer out on the hood with the thump of the kick drum on the hood as well. It’s mind blowing when it’s done right. And even if you have a favorite genre that you wouldn’t think would benefit from that, you’d be wrong. I listen to all types of music, even rap and EDM. To hear the bass sound like it’s going to shake the dash apart even with the sub in the rear is awesome.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
    I second everything @TheTodd said. Get one, you'll see. Entry level is damn cheap at about $150, Dayton Audio 408.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

Is there a regional forum section?
    I'd love to find someone with more knowledge than me to listen to my car and give me some pointers.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
    I too echo what TheTodd says.

Is it worth it for an average car guy to buy a DSP and a microphone setup and devote many weekends to learn how to use it? I would say no, not really worth it for the average car owner to do all that. It is, however, worthwhile to buy a DSP and ask someone for help to set it up for you.

If you are an average car person who enjoys technical or science things and wants to learn a new skill, then yes absolutely it is worth buying a microphone kit and spending many weekends figuring it out. You'll also learn a thousand times faster with someone to show you in-person so yes please do try to find someone near you to learn from.

To find someone, ask here and mention where you are.
    You can also check for local audio clubs on places like meetup.com, or look for competition events on websites like MECA or IASCA (not to find the competitions per say, but to meet the people who go to the competitions and learn from them).
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Where are you located?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Based on his other post asking for “Southern California Advice” I’m gonna stab at Southern California.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Make a drive out to Phoenix! We have a local audio group and you can maybe even get a tour of RockFord!
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2022 Camaro ZL1 (MANUAL)

I'm 4hrs from Phoenix.