Thread: Harman International

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Harman International

Now that my curiosity has been piqued and to not hijack another thread, I’d like to hear some opinions. Back in the late 80’s Harman International sold several brands of car audio (Concord, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Pyle). In another thread, it’s been mentioned that Pyle was the entry level of their lines (Pyle was a pile). I’m curious, which of their lines would be considered entry level now? I’m not going to debate/argue any of this, everyone has the right to an opinion. I’m just interested in what people think.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Harman International

After realizing that I really didn’t even know what brands Harman owns anymore I had to look it up. I only recognized 2 of them as aftermarket brands (admittedly I don’t recognize several names so I could be wrong). Here’s the list I got off the “Car Audio” section of Harman’s website:

AKG
    Bang & Olufson
    Bowers & Wilkins
    Harman/Kardon
    Infinity
    JBL
    Lexicon
    Mark Levinson
    Revel

Of the 2 I *know* are aftermarket I definitely see JBL as the entry level equipment and Infinity as the higher line. Of those I know to be OEM brands, my opinion is (from entry to higher end) B&O, B&W then ML. I don’t know anything about the other 3 so I have no opinion there.

I'll be honest, the whole reason I got into car audio was helping my older brother hook up a Pyle Pounder 15 pseudo-IB by using the well as the enclosure powered by a Pyle 100x2 (I think) amp bridged in his 82 Firebird in about 86-87ish. For what it was it was quite impressive. We eventually swapped out that 15 for two 10” MTX Blue Thunders in an actual enclosure and boy did that thing hammer!