Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the reputatin of PYLE back in the day?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: What was the reputation of PYLE back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by jlindsey86 View Post
    I turned 13 in 1999 and as far as I can remember PYLE was a shit brand. From the advertising and articles I have come across from the '80's and early '90s however, it seems as though PYLE was a USA made quality product. I am doing a period build in my 1992 Comanche and am looking for good 8" sub. I have come across some vintage PYLE's that are 94db efficient and feature a 30oz magnet. I was thinking this may be a good option for my ADS PQ10 to power with channels 3 & 4 bridged.
    They were always a crappy brand, but had great performance/dollar. My first subwoofers were 10 inch PyleDrivers in 1987, they were awesome.

2. Back To Top    #12

Re: What was the reputatin of PYLE back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    I think Harman bought Pyle sometime in the 80's, Pyle made decent stuff while owned by Harman, and then Harman sold the name in the mid-90's and it went downhill. Late 80's - early 90's (1988 - 1993) Pyle gear was solid.
    Well, that explains why those 10 inch PyleDrivers were so awesome!

3. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the insight. While Pyle may have been a decent brand for a short time period I am going to hold for something that will pair better with my ADS amp and Polk components. Anyone have recommendations for an efficient 8" sub from the early to mid 90's?

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by jlindsey86 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. While Pyle may have been a decent brand for a short time period I am going to hold for something that will pair better with my ADS amp and Polk components. Anyone have recommendations for an efficient 8" sub from the early to mid 90's?
    a/d/s/ S8S
    AVI SL-200
    Boston Acoustic ProSeries 8.0LF
    Cerwin-Vega XL-8
    MTX RTP84
    Orion Cobalt 8
    Orion XTR 8
    Oz Audio OZ-200L
    Polk MM8002
    Rockford Fosgate S1-84

These are some of the 8" subwoofers that had a sensitivity rating higher than 90db in 1993.

5. Back To Top    #15

Re: What was the reputation of PYLE back in the day?

I'm with you - it's always been a crap brand as far as I go back to about '92.

But why not give them a try?
    You are doing an eight, you aren't looking for an SPL truck... If you go a little roomier in the box size, and tuned a few Hz lower - you'll make the box a little more generic so it it's crap, you can pop in a different sub.

I'd give it a try. Crap sub maybe, but fun period piece definitely. And the resolution isn't as big a deal as a wideband or tweet - so have fun with it!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle

If you already have the Pyle subwoofer, there's no harm in trying it. It really does have similar specs to several of the 8" subs offered at the time. Here's some examples of some offered in 1992:

Subwoofer A: Molded-fiber cone, rubber surround, 2" voice coil, 25oz. barrium-ferrite magnet, 70 watt RMS, 87db sensitivity

Subwoofer B: Polypropylene cone, foam surround, 1½" voice coil, 20oz magnet, 75 watt RMS, unknown sensitivity

Subwoofer C: Polypropylene cone, unknown surround material, 1½" dual voice coil, 20oz magnet, 100 watt RMS, 91.7db sensitivity

7. Back To Top    #17

I haven't purchased the Pyle yet. The seller is asking more than its worth and will not negotiate. Had it been a good price I would have picked it up.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

I would have tried to find some of these instead, JBL 800GTI. I think they were about as good as you could get in the early 90s for a 8" subwoofer. Not only that, but these very likely has available replacement parts (recone/surrounds etc). Even if the Pyles have been boxed since new, 30 year old foam surrounds might turn into dust when you first start using them. Mechanical parts on speakers does unfortunately not age like fine wine :/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b171968017.3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	17388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b171968017.1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	17389

9. Back To Top    #19

Those JBL's look pretty sweet! Thanks for bringing those to my attention.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle

Those JBL GTi's are cool. Released in 1994, 3" voice coil, 600 watt power handling, 90db sensitivity, 30-1k frequency response, ¾ ft³ minimum enclosure, retailed for $270 each. I recently posted the CA&E test results of the a/d/s/ PQ10. It can be found here: https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...-February-1989