Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car audio from 1989-1990

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Car audio from 1989-1990

HiFonics, up until the late 90s, was very good. After that they were bought out and turned to trash. They were definitely more money than I could afford at the time as well, but prices for nice working units are very reasonable. I ended up buying a Thor VIII, Gemini VIII & Europa VIII for less than $600, then cleaned em up and resold them for a nice $150 profit.

Cerwin Vega was pretty decent as well. I wouldn’t call them high-end but they definitely held their own. They were known for needing large ported boxes and were super efficient so because of that they got loud on little power but most didn’t use them for SQ because of the huge boxes and ported requirement.

If it doesn’t need to sound good any Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, Pioneer from that era should fit the cosmetic bill and be period correct.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage G4

Hifonics were solid power back in the day. They did cool stuff back then like embedded active crossovers with rca outputs for other amps. I knew Dana D personally RIP

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    That is my favorite car and time period. I graduated in 1985 and currently have a metal die-cast 1971 Datsun 240Z on my desk. I owned a 1983 280ZX. I think The Todd nailed it as far as brands go. I would add Boston Accoustics. Alpine, Nakamichi and Yamaha were some of the top Japanese brands. I usually rocked Alpine or Nakamichi for radio. Alpine, Boston or MB Quart for speakers. RF and PPI for amps. Streetwires for wiring.
    I owned a 1980 280ZX Silver Streak (paint), blue sides, roof, and hatch, silver hood, 5-speed. I still miss that car. It taught me mechanics.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage G4

I was motivated look in my attic because of this thread. I found a Pioneer Premier xdv– P9 changer. I was pretty sure I had a DEX-M88 that went with it somewhere. I recently saw a carrozzeria odr system in my friend's garage BNIB.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

That was a fun car for sure. Eventually it rusted out as most did. I learned to do bodywork-alot of it. Welding, sanding, painting. Everything self taught and it looked like it too. Kind of like my car audio fabrication skills.

6. Back To Top    #16

Don't forget JBL GTi speakers/subs

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by dsjr70 View Post
    Thanks for the info I will check out some of those head end units and see what he likes. As of now he has order some old Hifonics amps, I remember the name but dont remember to much about them. That either means when I was in high school they were either complete junk or they were so expensive I couldnt afford them..lol For the two 10" woofers which will be the only speakers seen he is going with cerwin vegas which I thought was junk back in the day but it isnt my car. Really pretty much down to the head end unit. This system doesnt need to sound good, just look good. The limits in the trunk area where the 10's are going the boxes will have almost no volume but they will look good..lol I will post some pics up of the progress but dont shoot me, I am a paint and resto guy...lol
    Might want to find a vintage EQ or crossover (or both) to complete the look.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

I still own my 1989 Ford Probe with 78,000 miles & it still has the sound system in it from the same year. The amps need to be recapped but, the Probe is in great shape because it has been in a shed for most of its life.

Alpine 7949 headunit
    AudioControl EQX eq
    Two Phoenix Gold MS-250 (gray)
    An Alpine mini amp 22w x 2 for the rear speakers
    Soundstream digital crossover (I forgot the model number)
    Started with MTX (original blue coned) Blue Thunder 12" subs & then later changed to Infinity subs after one of the Blue Thunder's got a scratchy coil.
    JBL T-06 Tweeters & JBL 6.5" front & rear.
    JBL T-06 Tweeter & JBL 4" mid with a L-Pad for center channel fill.

And I one time I had a Realistic pro-audio type of reverb with sliders on the rear channels.

The system sounded great to me at the time but, it would chew through the 70amp alternators. So I bought the largest alternator I could find a 130amp Phoenix Gold and it lasted about 3 months. I was also starting a family in the same time period, so I parked the Probe because I was tired of working and spending all my money on it.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
    I still own my 1989 Ford Probe with 78,000 miles & it still has the sound system in it from the same year. The amps need to be recapped but, the Probe is in great shape because it has been in a shed for most of its life.

Alpine 7949 headunit
    AudioControl EQX eq
    Two Phoenix Gold MS-250 (gray)
    An Alpine mini amp 22w x 2 for the rear speakers
    Soundstream digital crossover (I forgot the model number)
    Started with MTX (original blue coned) Blue Thunder 12" subs & then later changed to Infinity subs after one of the Blue Thunder's got a scratchy coil.
    JBL T-06 Tweeters & JBL 6.5" front & rear.
    JBL T-06 Tweeter & JBL 4" mid with a L-Pad for center channel fill.

And I one time I had a Realistic pro-audio type of reverb with sliders on the rear channels.

The system sounded great to me at the time but, it would chew through the 70amp alternators. So I bought the largest alternator I could find a 130amp Phoenix Gold and it lasted about 3 months. I was also starting a family in the same time period, so I parked the Probe because I was tired of working and spending all my money on it.
    You have to post pictures of it now. I'd really like to see it.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

Sure but, the Probe is dusty and you can't see most of the equipment because it is hide under a false floor and the linear actuators have quit working.

I keep saying that I am going to fix everything on it but, I never have any free time. (I was one of those "lucky" people that had to work with lots of overtime through Covid so I didn't have that break.)

P.S. I taught both of my sons to drive in the Probe because they saw the car their whole lives and they always wanted to drive it. My youngest son wanted it to be his car but, I wouldn't let him because it didn't have airbags or anti-lock brakes.