Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car audio from 1989-1990

1. Back To Top    #1

Car audio from 1989-1990

Does anyone have a list of the best components in those years? Something from a mag from back then of high end stuff. Looking for the following:

Single Din head end units
    Amps
    8-10" woofers
    various speakers

Japan only market is preferred but not necessary.

I am just finishing a Fairlady build and the Owner wants a system installed using period correct products for some sort of show qualifications?

Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Car audio from 1989-1990

I threw out all my car audio magazines long ago but this is a good test of my memory. I don’t know much of the JDM market but around that time frame if you were competing and wanted to win you generally ran Alpine source, PPI amps, MB Quart speakers & JL Audio subs. If my recollection serves correctly though your higher end brands were more or less:

Sources: Alpine, Sony Mobile ES, Pioneer Premier, Denon, Nakamichi (some of these may have been called something else in the JDM market)

Amps: Alpine & Nakamichi if you want Japanese. Most of the better amps were made in the USA like Phoenix Gold, PPI, Orion, Rockford Fosgate, ADS, Soundstream, HiFonics (I’m probably forgetting quite a few)

Speakers: MB Quart, ADS, Altec Lansing, Dynaudio (I’m DEFINITELY forgetting some here)

Subs: JL Audio, Orion, Rockford Fosgate, Soundstream (I absolutely LOVED the SS10s nicknamed the velvet hammers). Here, again, USA made always seemed to be the better subs, that I can remember anyway.

Some folks with better memories may be of more assistance since unfortunately this was really at the VERY beginning of my addiction. December of 87 was the very first issue of CA&E that I ever read. Picked it up at a store and subscribed the very next day after reading it cover to cover right away. Also, a LOT of these pieces are getting EXTREMELY hard to find in decent condition, let alone working condition.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

This section of the forum may be helpful for you. Euphonic shows the years the advertisement is from as well.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/foru...Advertisements
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

I have some product directories from those years. As far as what was best, that’s opinion. It was early years and some stuff, like JL Audio, wasn’t even sold nationwide yet. I’m not sure what products at that time were JDM either. You might be able to find some Yamaha YPA amplifiers. Speakers will probably be the hardest to find. If you narrow down your search to a few brands, I’ll get you some model numbers and such.
    Last edited by Euphonic; 05-23-2022 at 10:18 PM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

That is my favorite car and time period. I graduated in 1985 and currently have a metal die-cast 1971 Datsun 240Z on my desk. I owned a 1983 280ZX. I think The Todd nailed it as far as brands go. I would add Boston Accoustics. Alpine, Nakamichi and Yamaha were some of the top Japanese brands. I usually rocked Alpine or Nakamichi for radio. Alpine, Boston or MB Quart for speakers. RF and PPI for amps. Streetwires for wiring.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen

Yeah, the audio shop I worked at during college back in '91 (Santa Barbara, CA) carried Nak for HUs and amps, a/d/s for speakers/subs and amps, Soundstream for speakers/subs and amps.

I still have a NaK CD-700 and a 1K monoblock amp in my storage area, along with an a/d/s crossover, 2 Soundstream Reference 300's, 2 Reference 500's, and 4 SS10Rs subs that I bought while working there (company scrip, lol).

They made some great gear back then. But my CD-700 was plagued by skipping (even with the high-tech oil suspension dampening), and I had to send it in for repair about 4 times before I retired it in frustration.
    HU: Pioneer P99 RS
    Front stage: HAT L1 V2, L3s, L8SEs
    Subs: Image Dynamics IDQ15 D2 v2 in sealed 1.25 cu ft enclosure
    Amps: JL HD 600/4 for tweeters & midrange / JL 600/4 for midbasses (bridged) / JL HD750/1 for subs

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    I have some product directories from those years. As far as what was best, that’s opinion. It was early years and some stuff, like JL Audio, wasn’t even sold nationwide yet. I’m not sure what products at that time were JDM either. You might be able to find some Yamaha YPA amplifiers. Speakers will probably be the hardest to find. If you narrow down your search to a few brands, I’ll get you some model numbers and such.
    Thanks for the response. We had several conversations over the weekend and it seems speakers are not an issue as long as they were in business back then. Headend and visual amps are the only concern. He wants a headend unit that was cutting edge at the time. I dont know how cutting edge a single din can be? Unless there were any with re-trackable faces, I do remember back then one company had one that was manual you actually had to push it in and pull it out and flip the screen up by hand but my mind is fuzzy about the manufacturer or year.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage G4

My first competition system was back then. Pioneer DEQ7500 DSP with Premier CDX-M33 changer with digital out. 5 Phronix Gold M25 amps with MB Quart 3 way front, rear and center ( rears ended up disconnected) and 4 MBQ 10's isobaric.

Installed in an RX-7 convertible
    DSP modes were garbage but it did pretty well for a 2 seater soft top. Car was stolen with the upgraded equipment before the next season started.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by dsjr70 View Post
    Thanks for the response. We had several conversations over the weekend and it seems speakers are not an issue as long as they were in business back then. Headend and visual amps are the only concern. He wants a headend unit that was cutting edge at the time. I dont know how cutting edge a single din can be? Unless there were any with re-trackable faces, I do remember back then one company had one that was manual you actually had to push it in and pull it out and flip the screen up by hand but my mind is fuzzy about the manufacturer or year.
    If we're talking CD players, I'd start with an Alpine 7909 or 7903. They might be a bit pricey, but easier to find because they are sought after. A Kenwood KDC-90R or KDC-92R would be second choices, but much harder to find. For amplifiers, it's going to depend on how much power and whether you're looking for 2 or 4 channels. Yamaha YPA amplifiers are obtainable, but light on power. The Clarion 3200A was a solid 4 channel from that era as well. The most desirable Japanese amps that were big power would be the Alpine 3545 or Kenwood KAC-1020 (when Car Stereo Review tested them, the Alpine measured 318x2 and the Kenwood measured 190x2). Other Alpine amps to consider would be the 3539, 3544, 3554 and 3543. Other Kenwood amps would be the KAC-720, KAC-820, KAC-920, KAC-721, KAC-821, KAC-921, and KAC-1021 (the 20's are from 1989, the 21's from 1990).

These are just some Japanese options.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the info I will check out some of those head end units and see what he likes. As of now he has order some old Hifonics amps, I remember the name but dont remember to much about them. That either means when I was in high school they were either complete junk or they were so expensive I couldnt afford them..lol For the two 10" woofers which will be the only speakers seen he is going with cerwin vegas which I thought was junk back in the day but it isnt my car. Really pretty much down to the head end unit. This system doesnt need to sound good, just look good. The limits in the trunk area where the 10's are going the boxes will have almost no volume but they will look good..lol I will post some pics up of the progress but dont shoot me, I am a paint and resto guy...lol