Thread: 8" Focal option for Ford F150 any good?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    admittedlyanasshole
    Vehicle
    2020 F150

8" Focal option for Ford F150 any good?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these Focal 8" component sets:

Focal ISS 200 8" 2-Way Component Car Speaker System OR the
    Focal ISU 200 Integration 8-inch Component Speaker?

I think Kenwood makes a 7" and Hertz makes a 8" set as well.

I'm thinking about upgrading my 2020F150 factory system and I'd like to get the best bang for the buck. Admittedly I usually try to work on a budget, however I'll spend a few extra $ when appropriate.

The truck is driven maybe 3-4x/month so I can't justify dropping a thousands into a system that gets used with such infrequency and either set above is less than $300 for the pair. I have considered SD audio and their yard sale, I've read plenty of good reviews so thats another option I'm looking into as well.

I know cone area has the potential to improve output so thats why I was thinking of 8" drivers vs 6x9 or 6.5's. I'll use similarly matched 6.5s in the rear and power them w/ a simple Kicker Key. I was going to go w/ the JBL 6 ch but the DSP reviews were hit or miss. I plan on building a fiberglass box for a pair of behind the seat subs and I'll stick w/ the factory HU since it has the nav, BT etc and works fine for my needs.
    I'll probably grab some speaker adapters and block off plates from SGS, some MLV or closed cell foam as needed and I have buytl sheets on hand.

All said and done, the factory sounds surprisingly decent for a factory setup to me but I'd like more DB and eventually more low end.

Any input is appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: 8" Focal option for Ford F150 any good?

Morel components have been known to work very well in the f150 platform.

If going 2 way, I would suggest going with a 6.5" over an 8". An 8" will beam (directivity narrows, or you have to be more on axis to get the same output) well before the crossover point in a 2 way. If a 3 way, an 8" works well to cross low.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Directivity of speakers.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	17258

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker Beaming.png 
Views:	482 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	17259
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    admittedlyanasshole
    Vehicle
    2020 F150

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Morel components have been known to work very well in the f150 platform.

If going 2 way, I would suggest going with a 6.5" over an 8". An 8" will beam (directivity narrows, or you have to be more on axis to get the same output) well before the crossover point in a 2 way. If a 3 way, an 8" works well to cross low.
    I do see a few guys pushing Morel quite regularly. Last summer I installed a pair of Morel 6x9s in a 73 Monte Carlo and we used an Alpine PDX5 and I wasn't overly impressed w/ the Morels considering the cost. Maybe we got a pair of duds

How much directivity comes into play considering its car audio? The 8" will have more surface are and be able to play to a lower frequency easier than the 6.5s. I'm simply thinking that the lower and mid notes will come easier and with greater output due to more cone area.
    2020 F150 screw all factory but I'm too cheap to mod Kicker key 200.4 amp/factory speakers/home made HDPE door block off plates.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
    I do see a few guys pushing Morel quite regularly. Last summer I installed a pair of Morel 6x9s in a 73 Monte Carlo and we used an Alpine PDX5 and I wasn't overly impressed w/ the Morels considering the cost. Maybe we got a pair of duds

How much directivity comes into play considering its car audio? The 8" will have more surface are and be able to play to a lower frequency easier than the 6.5s. I'm simply thinking that the lower and mid notes will come easier and with greater output due to more cone area.
    Directivity always matters. Whether it is car audio, marine audio, utv audio, home audio, theater audio, etc., none of them can defy the physics behind it. Cars just make it very hard so one should really pay attention to directivity even more. That is why 3 ways are so beneficial in car audio, helps alleviate some of that directivity issues by crossing the door woofer below directivity problems.

I would personally never run a 2 way with an 8", I would actually prefer a 5" woofer in a 2 way to mate to a bigger tweeter that can be crossed at the ~2000hz region. Then run the subs up a little higher to match up to the 5" woofer.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    admittedlyanasshole
    Vehicle
    2020 F150

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Directivity always matters. Whether it is car audio, marine audio, utv audio, home audio, theater audio, etc., none of them can defy the physics behind it. Cars just make it very hard so one should really pay attention to directivity even more. That is why 3 ways are so beneficial in car audio, helps alleviate some of that directivity issues by crossing the door woofer below directivity problems.

I would personally never run a 2 way with an 8", I would actually prefer a 5" woofer in a 2 way to mate to a bigger tweeter that can be crossed at the ~2000hz region. Then run the subs up a little higher to match up to the 5" woofer.
    Why a 5" woofer vs 6 or 6.5?

And, can a larger tweeter fit in the stock A-pillar? I do not want to do any surface modding. My truck only see's a few 1000/year and thats only because I do 2 yearly road trips at 1400/round trip so the time, money and effort for significant custom audio work is wasted.
    2020 F150 screw all factory but I'm too cheap to mod Kicker key 200.4 amp/factory speakers/home made HDPE door block off plates.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

See pictures in post 2. Most tweeters are crossed around 2000-2500 hz.

7. Back To Top    #7

'As mentioned, if I were going with an 8" I would go with a large format tweeter or ideally a wideband. Something that would play low enough to mate with an 8" and not have beaming.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    admittedlyanasshole
    Vehicle
    2020 F150

Makes sense. Thx