Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: 2021 Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by Impossible Bill View Post
    No, its a 2 chamber aperiodic enclosure. The kick panels are small sealed enclosures. They are connected to the sill panel of the chassis which acts as a larger enclosure. The "membrane" is the material that meters the amount of air that passes between the front (small) and rear (large) enclosures. This damping lowers the Q of the small enclosure and reduces the impedance peak at Fs. I use a DATS V3 to tune the amount of material needed and am using Rockwool and fiberglass insulation here.
    Right - and you can 'squish' fiberglass or Rockwool or similar between metal mesh and front-mount it.

That was the basis for Richard Clark's legendary Grand National, and I even think it was SpeakerWorks who sold USD front mount kits that looked like opaque speaker grilles. I don't believe those were tunable, but they did come with some passive filter/compensation box... I don't recall specifically.

I was just assuming that was the application here. Pretty interesting regardless!

You may be thinking of other benefits - it just popped into my head as a solution to the kick risk. I don't think anyone dings for those kind of ergonomic limits these days in competition, and it does look cool regardless.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage G4

I used oval trailer light housings and seals to make it. They fit in the sill and have enough surface area.
    I wanted to mount Purifi speakers in the car without the concerns of environmental damage from door mounting or sacrificing SQ.
    They seemed to match my tweeters well and give me more flexibility.
    As far as design intent, I had a client ask why his system sounded so different with the windows down and could i fix that.

I started thinking about it and decided to build a system with On and off axis response as similar as possible. I have a lot of room to play with the xover point / type/ slope and have a few biquads ready to test. The tweeters seem pretty happy at 1300Hz Bessel without a baffle.
    The waveguides hopefully show up soon, the university is doing a presentation using them. They should really smooth of axis and compliment the. T34B and blend with the mid.

3. Back To Top    #13

I have mockups of the waveguides printed and attached some wood to include tweeter dimensions to ensure fitment.
    Attachment 17373

I'm debating how to finish them. Do i go with the brig beige of the pillar trim, get off the dash or good black to match the dash trim panels?
    Personally, I think matching the dark grey/matte black that matches the dash and I'll make my amateur lawyer case:

It'll minimize them visually, and blend them with the dash, which might be nicer when actually driving the car - but also even when purely listening, you want those psychoacoustic cues minimized.

On the other hand - is the panel they are actually mounted on grey/black? Or is the sill beige? "Whatever blends best" definitely should be the case, in my opinion anyway.
    In fact, on the other, other hand - if you are doing work and need to finish them anyway - maybe the sills also could become black?

...we did plenty of builds through the 90s and 00s where "make it pop! Stand out! Show car!" was the vibe - fiberglass volcanoes, neon, motorization and all that... I personally think that's cool too, it just seems less popular these days - and worth noting that died with the '07/'08 recession, when flaunting bling became tasteless in the face of plight.
    And as we head into a recession, I'm thinking milder is the safer option.

Food for thought, anyway. Honestly either is probably fine - both options take the "integration concept" road.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle

Im thinking dash color is the way to go now that i can properly fit them in place. I think I'm going to paint the upper breakaway portion dark too to make them even less obvious. It's a good starting point and i can always refinish them later.
    Thanks for the input!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle

Dr Seuss paid me a visit. I temporarily mounted the tweeters to the waveguides to listen while i work. Will put the final parts in after i make the breakaway part of the pillar trim.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220531_135407_01.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	17387

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle

The pillar trim pieces are done.

Name:	IMG_20220605_170427_01.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	17424

Taking a trip to NC this weekend and have a few xover filters ready to test out. Hopefully final WG will arrive soon and i can button up the final details and get into tuning. It sound pretty good flat which makes me happy and came in under budget which makesthe wife happier.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

The pillar trim pieces are done.

Name:	IMG_20220605_170427_01.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	17424

Taking a trip to NC this weekend and have a few xover filters ready to test out. Hopefully final WG will arrive soon and i can button up the final details and get into tuning. It sound pretty good flat which makes me happy and came in under budget which makesthe wife happier.
    Where at in NC? I'm very eastern if you'll be around there.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle

Mom & Dad are in Raleigh, sis is in Holly Springs. Wish i was able to make the meetup and comp down there last month.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle

Made some good tuning progress. Three were things I liked about each xover type which led me to try something different. I kept that one the entire ride home and think I have the crossovers I'll use when I really get into tuning this install.

10. Back To Top    #20

I always wondered - since the HLCD years - if it might be possible to cut the back corners out of the dash top (and in most cars a bit of the A pillar I imagine, to squish it flat at least up to where the airbags start - and basically design an HLCD horn that starts way below, and curves in a way that hands off to the dash top and windshield to make for a HUGE HCLD.

I feel like you kinda have done what I always wondered about... Just wouldn't extend as low!

How is the imaging?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk