Thread: New truck, blank canvas, help me decide!

1. Back To Top    #1

New truck, blank canvas, help me decide!

What's up, CAJ? For those of you who don't know me, I'm a competitive SPL guy. BUT... I also competed SQ last year in the same vehicle I use for SPL- a '91 CRX. I am also focused on SQ in my daily driver- a BMW 135i. That one is OEM HU + MS-8. Focal Kevlar 4" comps in doors/sails and Gladen 8" woofers under the seats. eD Nine.5 runs all that and a Tantric 12" in a small sealed. I love it.

Aaaaanyway, I need some input on my new (to me) vehicle. It's a 1993 Dodge Dakota. I've already installed an 80prs and a little PPi900.4 but I'm stuck on drivers and locations. This is my new SPL competiton vehicle, but as with the CRX, I will drive it daily and I don't listen to rap on a daily basis so I need a great front.

My goals are to get great sound and be relatively loud (for bass demos) on a budget. Not that I'm broke, but more to show that it can be done with install and you don't HAVE to spend a fortune on gear. I'd also like to compete in SQ again this year so there's that.

I am wide open on this one and Fricasee and I have been kicking around some ideas. The leading candidate so far is a "one seat" install where I place all of the speakers equidistant to the driver's listening position. Concern: will the void to the right cause wonkiness? The right side woofers would most likely be on the floor in the center (transmission hump) and the left ones in the driver's kick.

I'm pretty set on doing a dynamic 2 way with a ton of midbass. For high frequencies... we were kicking around the idea of a small line array of Fountek fr58ex's or Aura "whispers". Likely to be on the gauge cluster/dash hump (see pic) equidistant to the driver.

I'm including a pic of my interior for reference. This is *almost* exactly what mine looks like except that I have manual windows and the crank extends into that lovely flat spot on the bottom of the card where a door pod would go nicely.

So, suggestions on drivers would be great. And any crazy ass install ideas would be welcome. Let me hear it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New truck, blank canvas, help me decide!

I wonder how yer stage will react to the boundaries on the left, and open space to the right......hmm...never seen anyone do it that way, and figure you're headed for a tiny stage. I'd rather have an open, large stage processed for imaging than to worry about equidistant driver placement.....either way, I'm in to see yer build....

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Randal Johnson
    Vehicle
    1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Re: New truck, blank canvas, help me decide!

I would start out with a pair of tweeters in the A-Pillars ...
    Team Linear Power / Hyper Lights ... 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan