Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking build before I press the buy button. Final and complete.

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Checking build before I press the buy button. Final and complete.

Well yeah, looking at it from a perspective of separating mids and highs into one signal source and mid bass into another is something that I've always wished was possible. The dude at car audio fabrications explained it nicely. As soon as he said ditch the passive crossover that comes in the box with the components it clicked. I was thinking that either way when you set up a component system the signal from both leaves the amp on one channel and goes to the crossover so it's same as having a coaxial.

So now I have a question about how DSP is set to work.

Let's use 5 khz for example. Say the source signal is at 2 decibels when it gets to the DSP. Say that you edit the volume down to 1 decibel. It's supposed to leave the DSP at 1 decibel right?.

Here's the question. Say a different song starts playing and the 5khz signal gets to the DSP at 5 decibels. Will the DSP

1. Cut the 5db down to 1db?
    2. Cut 1db and send out 4db?

So what I'm thinking now since I have the amps is to bridge one to two channels for either the mid bass or the rear speakers and use 4 channels on the other. That'll create 6 line level frequencies that can be edited at the DSP right? I'm looking at switching the front coaxials and tweeter for a 2 speaker component system, leaving the rear coaxials, and ditching the tweeters. Is that what I should need looking at?

Lewis King.

2. Back To Top    #12

Well yeah, looking at it from a perspective of separating mids and highs into one signal source and mid bass into another is something that I've always wished was possible. The dude at car audio fabrications explained it nicely. As soon as he said ditch the passive crossover that comes in the box with the components it clicked. I was thinking that either way when you set up a component system the signal from both leaves the amp on one channel and goes to the crossover so it's same as having a coaxial.

So now I have a question about how DSP is set to work.

Let's use 5 khz for example. Say the source signal is at 2 decibels when it gets to the DSP. Say that you edit the volume down to 1 decibel. It's supposed to leave the DSP at 1 decibel right?.

Here's the question. Say a different song starts playing and the 5khz signal gets to the DSP at 5 decibels. Will the DSP

1. Cut the 5db down to 1db?
    2. Cut 1db and send out 4db?

Still don't understand phase comb filtering, seems that if you're getting a secondary echo from the reflection of sound waves from the dashboard then placing a tweeter with direct line of sight and applying delay by say, adding up the distance from the left speaker and right speaker to your ear, dividing by two, then subtracting that from the distance of the farthest speaker, and finally dividing that by the speed of sound it'll give you the delay time in seconds that's needed for the speaker that's farthest from you. Then you put that into the DSP in milliseconds.

Also, if you put components in the front and coaxials in the rear you can wire the rear coaxials and the tweeters to 4 individual channels of the one amp and bridge the second amp to two channels and wire the mid bass to that one. That way you can get more mid fill between the low frequencies and the high which I'm guessing will add more body to the front stage.

But those are just guesses. I'm gonna get the Hertz deici components for the front and the coaxials for the rear and see how the sounds interplay in real life.

Lewis King

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

IMO, ditch the rear speakers. I don't get why people insist on spending money to make their system sound worse...

4. Back To Top    #14

So I actually scored the complete Hertz Dieci set front components, rear coaxials for less than the set of Punch 3 ways. I'm glad now that I looked.

5. Back To Top    #15

Curious as to why you suggest to ditch the rear speakers. How does that affect sound quality?

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Original wis View Post
    Curious as to why you suggest to ditch the rear speakers. How does that affect sound quality?
    The goal is a stereo image in front of you. You should be able to tell where every instrument is on the sound stage. If you close your eyes, you shouldn't be able to sonically locate the speakers. Sounds above ~250Hz are locatable by the our ears, so even the sub will sound like it's upfront. Rear speakers pull the stage back. Many claim to be able to use rear fill to enhance the image, but I've yet to hear a car that doesn't have cues to back. * Please note, I don't say it can't be done. Only that I've been in many cars that claim to use rear fill successfully and all had the stage pulled back because of it.

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Original wis View Post
    More tweeters is bad! Comb filters are a big factor in how good sound quality is, you don’t really want treble frequencys behind you, rear speakers should be seen and not heard if done right, they add so little to the party that you likely won’t even want then on if you had a decent set of front three way components set up well!

8. Back To Top    #18

Gotcha. How does that affect people in the back seat though?

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. How would you like your car to sound? Some people want their car to sound like a rock concert, some a dance club, and others an acoustic performance at a coffee shop.

10. Back To Top    #20

So if you leave off the rear speakers will the people in the rear be able to hear the music well? Or will they drown in bass?

I always try to aim sound to the center of the middle front of the vehicle so it sounds like the vocalist is there in the car with me.