Thread: (1) Sundown ZV6 2-OHM 12" 2500W RMS - Suggestions on Automotive Electrical Help and A

1. Back To Top    #1

(1) Sundown ZV6 2-OHM 12" 2500W RMS - Suggestions on Automotive Electrical Help and A

I currently own a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier that I am currently building a subwoofer install in.

My complete and current installs:

New Kenwood KDC-BT378U radio with built-in speaker amp, All new door and deck speakers. (COMPLETE)

Big 3 Kit, Mechman 270 AMP Alternator, (1) Sundown ZV6 12" 2-OHM 2500W Subwoofer (wired to 1 OHM), One run of 1/0 gauge wire complete with fuse and capacitor), Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

Just wondering if all the above installs with be able to comfortably power a 3000 watt amplifier to run the subwoofer properly? I know Sundown Subwoofers are underrated, just not sure if I want to over-power by more than 500W, seems safer to me like that, unless I'm wrong? Never dealt with this much power before, max was 600 watts before this build.

Any other install recommendations? Bigger battery because it is stock? Better springs for the added weight in the rear? Box will be fiberglass but the subwoofer alone weighs 95 pounds.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: (1) Sundown ZV6 2-OHM 12" 2500W RMS - Suggestions on Automotive Electrical Help a

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann0627 View Post
    I currently own a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier that I am currently building a subwoofer install in.

My complete and current installs:

New Kenwood KDC-BT378U radio with built-in speaker amp, All new door and deck speakers. (COMPLETE)

Big 3 Kit, Mechman 270 AMP Alternator, (1) Sundown ZV6 12" 2-OHM 2500W Subwoofer (wired to 1 OHM), One run of 1/0 gauge wire complete with fuse and capacitor), Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

Just wondering if all the above installs with be able to comfortably power a 3000 watt amplifier to run the subwoofer properly? I know Sundown Subwoofers are underrated, just not sure if I want to over-power by more than 500W, seems safer to me like that, unless I'm wrong? Never dealt with this much power before, max was 600 watts before this build.

Any other install recommendations? Bigger battery because it is stock? Better springs for the added weight in the rear? Box will be fiberglass but the subwoofer alone weighs 95 pounds.

Thanks in advance guys.
    That subwoofer will handle that power just fine, and 1/0 wire should be sufficient for a 3000 watt amp.
    Where you're gonna need help is the speakers powered from the head unit, they're gonna sound like crap without an amplifier of their own.
    And yeah, you might need some suspension help with the weight in the rear, I suggest booster airbags that fit inside the springs.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: (1) Sundown ZV6 2-OHM 12" 2500W RMS - Suggestions on Automotive Electrical Help a

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    That subwoofer will handle that power just fine, and 1/0 wire should be sufficient for a 3000 watt amp.
    Where you're gonna need help is the speakers powered from the head unit, they're gonna sound like crap without an amplifier of their own.
    And yeah, you might need some suspension help with the weight in the rear, I suggest booster airbags that fit inside the springs.
    So one run will be enough? I've heard of voltage drop with long runs of power wire. Or does the cap cancel that out?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann0627 View Post
    So one run will be enough? I've heard of voltage drop with long runs of power wire. Or does the cap cancel that out?
    I'm pretty sure you'll be ok with one run, the cap may help.